Help trying to Become Gold fast... and get to Prague in comfort?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by AdGal, Nov 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. AdGal

AdGal Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

Looking for some expert help here. I'm 429 miles away from Gold status - well I will be after tomorrow's flight from SFO-JFK. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to get those last few miles in the next week or so? Unfortunately I'm not flying anywhere for Thanksgiving. The real reason I'd like to get the status upgrade as soon as possible is that I have to travel to Prague for work at the end of next week and just found out that my company isn't allowing us to fly business. It's totally against company policy, and we're certainly not going to the Czech republic in December for kicks... but that's a story for another time. Anyway, I'm also 5.5 months pregnant and am desperately trying to figure out a way to get the best odds of having the least miserable travel experience, since there are also no direct flights to PRG from NYC in the winter.

Any suggestions beyond buying a Y or W fare coach ticket and hoping for the best? TIA!!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having the Gold status isn't likely to help you much anyways so it may be a moot point. If you can buy up to the Economy Comfort seats on DL-operated flights that will give you a little extra room. Otherwise you're almost certainly going to be in coach, even as a gold.

Sorry.

gregm and anileze like this.
  3. AdGal

AdGal Member

Status Points:
    Thanks - thought it might be a long shot, but figured it would be worth the try!

anileze likes this.
  4. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can earn 250 mqm per 2 night stay at Hilton if you register for the hilton promotion first.

Another option would be to get an Amex CC card that offers MQM on first purchase tomorrow and ask them to rush the card to you. The MQM post fast!

anileze likes this.
  5. flynow

flynow Silver Member

Status Points:
    ;)Good luck !! Hope you make it

anileze likes this.
  6. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on the forthcoming little one!

Commiserations on your DL SM Medallion rank. But hey, it's all mejor en su clase anyway. You're in the back like most everyone else. As the DL apologists like to say, WFBF. Muahaha!

As for the Czech republic for kicks, well, there are plenty of people who go there in Dec for exactly that reason. The streets will be full of carousing orange revelers (the SleazyJet crowd from LUT, STN and MAN) - but in your case, I see why you won't be joining them.

Credit the miles to AS MP and by the time Junior is about to begin school, you might have enough for EK First....otherwise, you'll keep accumulating DL SM at about the pace Jeff Robbo devalues them and you won't even be able to redeem from PHL to FCO for 635k, not all of which is in J.

7. AdGal

AdGal Member

Status Points:
    Haha. Thanks guys for all of the notes. I already have a platinum SM Amex, so that won't help me unfortunately, but I might try the Hilton option. In any case, since it probably won't help me get an upgrade, I'll spend the money on a mommy massage instead!