Help! Trying to avoid change of cabin fees on milesaver ticket.

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Emos-closet, Aug 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Emos-closet
    Original Member

Emos-closet Silver Member

Status Points:
    HI all,

Just needed some advice on what to do in this situation:

I have 2 one way Business class mile saver trips (50,000 miles) booked from SAN-ORD-JFK-LHR. Our trip is less than 21 days away. I am AA Gold.

I would like to get us in the first class cabin from JFK to LHR, From what I understand, the only way I can do this without any incurred fees is to cancel our trip, redeposit my miles and rebook it. I can do this without a fee because they changed our ORD connecting flight by over two hours and anything over 30 minutes allows for cancelation without penalty. I am hesitant because I am not sure if my canceled itinerary will immediately return to available award inventory. I cant afford to lose our itinerary and I really dont want to pay the fee of $175.

Anybody have any experience with this?
    Thanks!

Changing Flight Award Tickets

Changes to origin/destination –
    A $150 USD charge will apply for a confirmed change to an eligible origin or destination on a MileSAAver® award (waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum® members using miles from their account). Changes to an eligible origin or destination on AAnytime® awards are allowed at no charge.
    Changes that require different award type -
    Changes to the itinerary which involve different AAdvantage® award(s) than originally ticketed require a reinstatement of the original award ticket, payment of the applicable award reinstatement charge (see below), and a new award ticket issued (waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum® members using miles from their account).
    Changes to your outbound travel date, resulting in a departure within 21 days -
    A $75 USD award processing charge will apply for a confirmed change to the date on an AAdvantage MileSAAver® and AAnytime® award ticket if the change results in a new outbound travel date that is within 21 days of the original booking date (waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® and AAdvantage Gold® members using miles from their account).
    Contact AAdvantage Reservations to change your itinerary, pay the applicable charge and have your ticket reissued prior to travel.
    Reinstating Award Tickets

(Waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from their account)
    You can request to have your AAdvantage mileage reinstated for an unused AAdvantage flight award if your ticket has not expired. Partially used awards cannot be reinstated.
    When requesting a reinstatement, a $150 USD processing charge will be assessed per account for the first award ticket. Any additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 USD per ticket add-on charge.

2. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Forget those stated rules, "upgrading" an award flight does not incur a fee. Just call to have the JFK-LHR segment changed to F and if the agent tries to charge you a fee, tell them they are wrong and ask for a supervisor, or hang up and call again. Secondly, while you are at it, take advantage of the scheduling change to get on the non-stop SAN-JFK if that works for you or the three class 762 in F out of LAX.

MX likes this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also it is not correct that a sked change of over 30 mins allows for a no cost cancellation and redeposit.... it is in fact two hours... which fortunately in your case it does fall outside that range.

4. Emos-closet
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the information. My flight change is close to 4 hours, so no problem canceling without a fee.

5. Emos-closet
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I would love to fly SAN-JFK non-stop. Unfortunately the flight has no 1st availabilty right now. I have also been checking daily to see if LAX-LHR opens up as that would be a great way to go as well.

6. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Because of the schedule change, you can ask to be rebooked on the SAN-JFK regardless of whether it currently has award space in F available.