Help to retain Gold Status

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by travelmi, Dec 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. travelmi

travelmi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am currently gold. Want to keep that status for standby, bags and priority boarding, security and seat selection. Here is what I have planned so far, hope that experts here can provide some advice.

I have 1 MR ticketed and 3 more on hold.

1. Dec ORD-LAX-SBA-LAX-ORD (12470)
    2. Jan ORD-LAX-SBA-LAX-ORD (triple DQM ORD-LAX and double LAX-SBA = 12470)
    3. Jan ORD-LAX-SBA-LAX-ORD (12470)
    4 Jan ORD-DFW (3208 with DQM).

With the Jan trips, I should qualify for gold. I think because my current gold status run through Feb, 2012, there is no longer the need for the first ticketed MR.

Here are the questions:
    1. When I finish the three MRs in January, will the status lasts until Feb 2013?
    2. If I do not do the Dec trip, I should still have no gap in my status, right?
    3. Will I get any money back if I do not fly the Dec trip? Can I get a voucher with the fare paid - change fees?

Thanks!

zpaul likes this.
  2. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    This probably depends on what airline you are Gold on. Since this is a general forum on miles and points, going to your airline-specific forum might be a better option.

zpaul and Jett Rink like this.
  3. travelmi

travelmi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. This is for AA program. Can the thread be moved to AA forum, please?

zpaul and Jett Rink like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am confused. Most USA carriers credit status miles on a calendar year basis,so that status miles are reset to zero on January 1. The exception is DL, that rolls over excess status miles for those who have already qualified for some elite status tier.

If you are going for status on AA, my understanding is that you must reach it based on status miles credited in 2011 or else you start all over again in January. An exception would be if you have registered for some challenge for status.

zpaul likes this.
  5. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too was confused but I figured this was airline specific, perhaps an airline where I was not familiar with the program. If indeed it's AA, then the question makes no sense because of the calendar year issue.

zpaul likes this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    AA's qualification year is Jan 1 - Dec 31, however earned elite status is good until the end of Feb. So if OP drops the 1st MR as indicated, they would still have their existing GLD status till the end of Feb 2012.

If OP completes the 3 MRs as they've listed in Jan and the miles post before the end of Feb, they would qualify for GLD until Feb 2014. Since the OP's existing GLD status is good through Feb 2012, there could theoretically be no gap in elite status despite not requalifying in 2011.

This all hinges on the DEQM posting by a certain date though. Even if it posts according to the T&Cs, OPs status lapse would be minimal.

zpaul and travelmi like this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I answered your question above but realized I never directly quoted you. So....

1. Your status will be good until Feb 2014. Remember, if you qualified for GLD at the end of this year, your status would be good until Feb 2013, right? So qualifying in the next year means your status goes until Feb 2014. :)

2. Keep in mind that AA's T&Cs for the DEQM promos do allow them to wait 6-8 weeks to post your miles, so there is a possibility you will have some gap in status. That being said, we all know the miles typically post faster than listed in the T&Cs, but YMMV and you need to be aware it's possible to have your status lapse slightly.

3. It depends on your fare class and your contract of carriage. Chances are you'll be able to get a voucher minus any fees/penalties.

Good luck!

zpaul and travelmi like this.
  8. travelmi

travelmi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the recap. That's exactly what I meant, could not phase it better.

I am OK with that. The first "real trip" in Y cabin I will take is in April. Should have plenty time for the miles to post. This is great summary and answer, really appreciate it! I will call AA to see if I can get a voucher back for part of the ticket.

By any chance, someone can check my math and see if it is right?

zpaul likes this.
  9. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Use the "Report" button (at the bottom of every post) to alert the admin so they can take proper action toward threads/posts.

The admin can't read every post/thread on MP so posting in thread might not catch their eyes.

zpaul and SC Flier like this.
  10. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Miles flown in 2011, regardless of DEQM promo or not, count for 2012 status though. ;)

I think people are getting confused with the wording in the DEQM promos:

"Bonus elite qualifying miles earned in conjunction with flight activity
    during 2011 will count towards your 2012 membership year; bonus
    elite qualifying miles earned in conjunction with flight activity during
    2012 will count toward your 2013 membership year."

It's just saying that bonus miles will count for the year you flew them in, regardless of when they actually post to your account.

So if you fly ORD-LAX RT on December 30th 2011, the DEQM that posts to your account in January 2012 will count as if they posted in 2011 for your 2012 status year.

zpaul likes this.
  12. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks, I changed my post to reflect more what I meant.

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I still don't think it's correct though? :confused:

14. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the :confused:

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I enjoy the :confused: faces. :)

I'm just confused on what you mean by 2013. From what I read in the T&Cs of both DEQM promos, miles for flights in Dec 2011 count for the 2012 status year which would expire in Feb 2013. How would they count for 2013 status (which would end in Feb 2014)? Or are we just having a terminology miscommunication?

Also I'm drugged up on about 5 medications so bear with me if I'm having a medication haze inducted crazy spell...

16. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since you are Gold now, your LAX-SBA flights are based on minimum500 miles, rather than miles flown. That makes your math correct. You should achieve Gold status sometime in March with 27,346 EQM.

17. travelmi

travelmi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Update to my plans:
    Since last post, I decided to go for exp instead of gold. Thanks for the response here, I realize that qualifying in Q1 will give me almost two years status. (April 2012 - Feb 2014)
    So I cancelled the Dec trip and apply the amount minus $150 to Janunary trips.
    Total cost for my 9 ord-sfo and 1 ord-Dfw is less than $2500. Costco gift card gives me another 10% off. So for $2250, I got 80,000 miles, 8 evips and exp status for 22 month.
    All thanks to your help!

John777 likes this.
  18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    EXP is 100.000 status miles, no? So where did the remaining 20,000 status miles come from this year in your case?

19. travelmi

travelmi Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are correct. EXP is 100,000 EQM. My 80,000 miles is referring to RDM. By stacking the two promotion in Janunary (I am IL resident), I get triple EQM.

When I fly 9 ord-sfo, and 1 ord-Dfw, I get 1846*2*9*3=99684 EQM. The one ord-Dfw will top it off with 802*2*2= 3208 EQM. So I will end up with 102892 EQM to qualify for EXP.

I do get double RDM on the roughly 34832 I will fly, so that's 69664 miles. Because I am currently gold, I also get 25% bonus on the base mile which is 25%*34832=8708. So the total RDM I will get is 78,372 miles. This is the mile that I can redeem for future flights.

Hope this makes my comment clearer.

I just realized that I also get the soft landing which guarantees my platinum status to Feb 2015 and Gold for Feb 2016 even I do not have enough qualifying activity in the next three years.

20. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could this change with AA going through bankruptcy? I do not have the answer and hope that bankruptcy does not cause such a change...but you never know...

21. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Considering AA's actions since bankruptcy seems to be to give status out more easily (DEQM, TEQM, random status bumps, etc), I'm not sure removing soft landings fits that pattern. But, you never know I suppose.

rwoman likes this.
  22. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I cannot figure out if they gave me a random bump or not. With missing a flight, I was 184 miles short, but DEQM in December put me about 5k over = a late MR was not necessary in the end. I have not seen any posting of DEQM credit, but got the "Welcome to Plat status for another year" email the other day. ;)

DestinationDavid likes this.
  23. travelmi

travelmi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just another update now I am near the end of my MRs. (One more to go tonight). I qualified for Platium on Jan 23 when they posted another batch of the TEQMs. Bouns is that starting on Jan23, I am also earning 100% status miles as well. It is just getting sweeater.