Help Selecting Best Hard J Product for IAD-BKK on *A

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HoKo, Jul 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. HoKo
    Original Member

HoKo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi folks, so I'm planning on making a *A award booking using UA miles on short notice (aiming to leave approximately 7-14 days from today's date) in J. My primary goal is to fly the best hard product (ideally I'm looking for fully flat seat, direct aisle access, suite style set-up). I flew the new CX J HKG-JFK earlier this spring and loved it (of course this isn't a surprise haha) so ideally I'm looking for something similar to that. I also realize that it may not be possible to meet all the preferences I listed above but just looking to get as close as possible.

After messing around on gcmap it looks like there isn't a huge difference between flying TATL vs TPAC: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=iad-nrt...k&MS=wls&DU=mi so I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed trying to evaluate the abundance of routing options I have. I also am aware that most airlines have some routes flying new J config and some routes flying old J config but don't really know how to figure out if I will be getting the old or new config. Some carriers list the routes that have new J on their sites, such as ANA here: http://ana.ms/MDYV9R but many others don't so I have no idea how to figure it out (SeatGuru/SeatExpert are helpful to a degree but if a carrier has multiple configs flying the same route on the same plane type then it doesn't help much)

Since some carriers are much stingier than others about allocating J seats on short notice I also need to factor in how feasible it is that I can find the space needed. I've been running plenty of KVS searches and so far it seems like there's a lot of availability routing TATL on LH and then connecting to an asian carrier from there or I could go TPAC on UA or ANA.

What ideas do you guys have? TIA

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    LH C is mediocre unless you're on the 748. LX is probably the best option TATL. TG C is also not so great so if that's the Asian carrier you're connecting on to I'd try for something else.

If you can get the sCO UA flights that's actually a pretty solid C product and a seat in the middle pair gets you direct aisle access. Connecting from HKG or NRT to BKK can be done on whatever is available.

HeathrowGuy and viguera like this.
  3. HoKo
    Original Member

HoKo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok thanks, how can I tell if I'm getting one of the CO config planes?

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it is a 772 and the front cabin is 2-2-2 then it is sCO. That's the easiest way. Most flights from EWR would qualify.

HeathrowGuy likes this.
  5. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you go with TG I would only pick their 77W or A380 flights. Stay away from the 747s, although J in the old 744 config to CPH (and maybe ARN) is actually the the former F cabin with near-flat recliners. Kind of retro-cool, but none of the bells and whistles of a newer product.

The ex-9W 77W has a herringbone J config much like DL or AC, but the seat itself is a bit wider. Thai's new 77W and A380 have a staggered fully-flat J product similar to OZ/AZ. It looks very good. Any of the other TG aircraft (346/744) will be angled-flat J.

skyvan, snod08 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  6. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    excellent info!

EWR764 likes this.
  7. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would say US Envoy Suite to Europe, and Thai to BKK.

8. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd go with United, the World's Leading Airline, for your journey, with perhaps some flying on Asiana's overnight LAX-ICN if they've "guaranteed" Quadra Smartium on the route. Everything else will be tough to put together or risks too much variation in the seat you'll get, so generally follow the path the d.r.S.L. has laid out for you.

viguera and Flyer1976 like this.
  9. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw some Qatar availability recently from IAD. One stop, good connection times. They look like they have a nice lounge in Doha.

viguera likes this.
  10. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    In fact I see availability on Qatar on August 6th, if you are so inclined.

iolaire likes this.
  11. HoKo
    Original Member

HoKo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the detailed info, this is exactly what I was looking for! Unfortunately award space on August 11th from bangkok is pretty sparse. My only choices were MAD (red-eye), MUC, LHR or MXP (all on TG metal). I ended up opting to do BKK-MUC on TG in a 744, then I'm catching the last flight of the day to FRA. Will overnight in FRA and then sample the new C on LH 74H back to IAD. I'm hoping some availability opens up on one of the planes you described. Do you know which routes the 77W and A380 usually fly? I think the ex-9W 77W flies CDG and FRA?

Thanks, unfortunately I wasn't finding much space on OZ.

Thanks and I guess great minds think alike ;) , this is indeed what I ended up doing. I found space on August 1st IAD-DOH-BKK on QR and then BKK-HKT on TG. It was a major pain getting those QR segments booked though.

Ygor likes this.
  12. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Awesome. Glad you found what you were looking for. Have a great trip, and do a trip report! :D

13. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    For August 11, neither are actually in service yet! The 77W is available on the flights to FRA and CDG.

I'll be on TG920 BKK-FRA on 8/9, looks like I'll miss you by a few days!

14. HoKo
    Original Member

HoKo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah too bad we're missing each other, would've been fun!

Will do!