Help searching for award options?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by traveltoomuch, Jul 9, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a short-notice travel need, and I'm feeling overwhelmed trying to get all of the moving pieces in place. I'm hoping some of you generous folks might be willing to help me settle on some award ticket options.

Goal: BOS-PRG. C/F would be nice but not strictly necessary.

I have: UA and AA miles in abundance. Chase UR. BA Avios that can be augmented with Chase UR. I am UA/star gold.

Specific help I'm looking for: is there anything useful using AA miles (especially return options)? Is there anything useful using Avios? (e.g. Aer Lingus to DUB, and connect somehow from there). And, if I use UA, should I book RT now with less-than-ideal return options just to get a free domestic one-way for use later (free stopover) and save a second-close in ticketing fee, or just wait for better options to possibly open up later?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    For Return nothing is open on BA.com so maybe you'll need to do UA.

Or do the AerLingus DUB-BOS flight w/Avios

traveltoomuch likes this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well that may be so.. BUT if you put the OPs dates on aa.com it shows Y C and F (awards all on BA) strangely enough for out 7/18 but the flight out of BOS connecting at LHR is at 800m and returning on the 25th.
    For Business will be 50K AA each way Avois will be about 68K miles
    Note the YQ on both AA and BA is just over $1000

Seems using Avios or AA miles and saving on the YQ other than the above his only other options are JFK/DUS on AB out DUS/ORD.... lots of connections there.
    PRG/DUS one way is about $120

Based on the above looks like the UA or LH options out and depends on how much he wants to save AB back

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    traveltoomuch and edekba like this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh is that BA/AA glitch still going on? I thought they solved it...

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems to getting stranger. Based on the above its seems that one can find better BA inventory on aa.com as opposed to ba.com... really weird. :confused:

traveltoomuch, edekba and skyvan like this.
  6. Charlie6

Charlie6 Active Member

Status Points:
    Edekba, Could you please explain the BA glitch you are referencing? I posted the thread above this one regarding finding zero availability on BA out of AUS to just about anywhere at any time. I have redeemed awards on BA from here before but it's been about a year since I have looked. What's going on? Also how long has their explore map been down and is there any timeline in sight for it to go back up?

7. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all very much. I really appreciate the Air Berlin suggestion.

I think I settled on something.

8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I dont know? I just read on a few blogs that BA is not showing AA. I thought i saw someone say it was fixed ... but I guess not.

I've used BA reliably for my two upcoming trips so I do believe this is recent.