Help -- screwup with UA's "pay $499, fly 25K EQM, and regain your 1K status" promo

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by AdamNYC, Feb 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. AdamNYC

AdamNYC Active Member

Status Points:
    Esteemed Milepointers - I'm embarassed and frustrated, but just before the weekend, I pulled the trigger and paid $499 for myself and $499 for my partner to kick off the 90 day period where we can fly 25K eqm miles on UA (or CO) metal and regain our 1K status. (We did not requalify in 2010, and got bumped down to Premier.) So far so good. Our first flights were this past weekend -- EWR-LHR roundtrip on CO. Purchased my ticket through an ota and provided my Mileage Plus number for FF credit. Purchased partner's ticket directly on continental.com and intended to provide his Mileage Plus number to override his defaulted-from-his-profile OnePass number at the appropriate moment. Forgot to do it. Forgot to look at boarding passes prior to flight. Surprise! as expected, the rdms/eqms are being credited now to his OnePass account, but we need(ed) those miles to hit his mileage plus account. Normally, I'd not sweat it, particularly in 2011 when there will be a year-end merge of the onepass and MP programmes anyway. But in this case, we shelled out lots of $$ specifically to qualify for this promo, and now I fear that there will be no way to work with OnePass and Mileage Plus to remedy this. Any suggestions on how to proceed expediently without spinning wheels unnecessarily with the houston folks or the mileage plus folks? Need to get those eqm/rdm "uncredited" from CO and recredited to UA as originally intended.

2. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    1st thing to do is to call OnePass Service Center, and see if they'll help you. If no action on the 1st try, call back a little later and speak to someone else.

If that doesn't work, send a PM to UA Insider. Though he's busy during this merger time, he may be able to help or will let you know it ain't gonna happen. Be patient with him as he's busy with the merger and all.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There have been reports that UA was willing to "un-credit" a flight to have it credited to a different carrier. You'd basically need to do the same thing with CO. I agree that the OPSC is the place to start. Call and ask them to un-credit the flight so that it can be submitted to a different carrier. After that you've got to hope that UA will issue the credit even though the BP has the OnePass number on it.

You do have the BPs, right??

4. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    :eek:PSC is the place to start. Perhaps they can call UA for you, as UA may be unhappy at seeing a CO number printed on the BP.

5. hobo13
    Original Member

hobo13 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And the point out that UA and CO are one and the same...... until they aren't. :)

6. zabes
    Original Member

zabes Active Member

Status Points:
    I had this happen last year in June, our BPs showed our 1K number but our miles credited to OnePass do to changing them prior to the flight.

Was told in general they will not remove miles from one account and recredit to another, however, since the boarding pass showed UA they said they would do it, and did credit the miles immediately, however, they said normally if they were to do this they would wait for CO to cancel the flights and then credit them. They did send a note to CO to cancel the miles, which they did, but that took 4 months to happen, so even if they are willing to do it, it could take 4 to 5 months for them to correct it.

7. AMRivlin
    Original Member

AMRivlin Silver Member

Status Points:
    This promotion ends on Monday, still considering if I should bit the bullet! Argh. I have $2000 tied up in the soon to be botched Fairmont deal. We will see where that leaves me and make a call on 6 months of 1K.