Help planning trip to South America on Lan

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by katstarr, Nov 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like a lot of others here, I got the BA visa card a number of months ago, with 100,000 miles. Rather than use the miles in drips and drabs, I've decided to throw my eggs in one basket with a trip to South America. Thus,with the miles (kilometers) I want to plan a trip to south america on LAN for 2 persons over the summer, probably august.

Other than a trip to Rio a few years ago, I've never been to South America, and I've always wanted to visit Argentina.

I want to go to Buenos Aires for four nights and tack on 2 nights (utilizing LAN's generous open jaw policy) in another South America city. Since the flights from NY seem to stop in either Lima or Santiago, I'm guessing my stopover would be in one of those two cities.

So, I guess my first question is which city should I choose as my second South American city - Lima or Santiago? Which is more memorable? fun? safe? relatively easy to get around? price efficient?

As for hotels, As a hyatt diamond (thank you SMD3 and thepointsguy), I would stay 2 of the 4 nights at the Park Hyatt in Buenos Aires and use a suite ugrade. I'm not sure where I'd stay the other two nights in Buenos Aires - I'd love some ideas on hotels and places to sightsee and eat.

I'd also love some similar recommendations on places to stay, visit in Santiago or Lima as well as any general tips at all that you might have with respect to this trip.

I am grateful for your knowledge and help.

-Kathy

Gargoyle, YULtide and Espan like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that the impending BA award rules changes might seriously affect your ability to redeem for what you are looking for. With only the 100K points I believe you are stuck in coach for 2 seats even under the old rules.

No real knowledge on LIM v SCL as I've never been to either. That said, I've heard better things about LIM.

Espan likes this.
  3. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also keep in mind that it's dead of winter in S America then. Be prepared for chilly weather in BA and Santiago. Lima probably a bit more temperate and warmer, and an excellent food scene.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure I read your OP right, but you mention LAN's generous open-jaw policy, so I think you may be confused between LAN KMs and BA Miles. You'll be using BA miles and BA's award chart, not LAN's if you're using the BA miles from the 100k Chase BA sign up. FYI, you can stopover in multiple LAN operated cities because of BA's generous stopovers rules (unlimited stopovers on the most "direct" routing which is pretty flexible). That should allow you to do JFK-LIM(stop)-SCL(stop)-EZE(stop)-SCL-JFK and experience all 3 if you can get the time off.

I'd also recommend booking before the changes coming to the award chart on Nov 16.

5. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    as much as I'd like to see every city, I'd like to limit it to 2. I think you're right that Lima makes the most sense for the second city visit. given the weather, I will schedule the trip for late-august.

as you also correctly mentioned, I am trying to make these plans before the BA change. and as you also correctly guessed, I'm a little "green" at this and therefore am appreciating all of your comments and suggestions.

I'm trying to do this on somewhat of a budget (mainly because my travel companion is not willing to shell out much for this trip...).

If I stay the first two nights in Buenos Aires at the Park Hyatt, do you have any suggestions where I should stay the other two nights?

As for Lima, do you think that Miraflores is the place to stay (any suggestions?) or elsewhere? Is it worthwhile to spend a third night in Lima?

thanks!

Gargoyle and YULtide like this.
  6. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lima will definitely be warmer and more interesting, but don't be disappointed if it's overcast. That's just Lima. Miraflores is a great place for a first visit, and yes there are enough things to do for three nights.

The wonderful thing about Buenos Aires is that it's a collection of cute, very walkable neighborhoods. I notice that the Park Hyatt is in Recoleta; perhaps you might try two nights in neighborhoods like Palermo (or Palermo Viejo, Soho, Hollywood) or San Telmo, which are great atmospheric places to walk around.

If he doesn't show up soon, PM Gaucho. He's our (one of many?) resident porteño.

7. finite7777

finite7777 Member

Status Points:
    I looked into this South American option as well and I ended up going to Bali and Siam Reap, using the BA for F going home thru Hong Kong . I used my Hyatt nights in Paris, I would not feel comfortable "wasting" them (especially with the suite upgrade) in South America. Just my two cents.
    I wish I had 3 weeks to have used the South American unlimited stop thing, otherwise it seems a waste to blow the trip on 1 or 2 stops.

Gargoyle likes this.