Help/Opinions Please!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Piney_Bob, Aug 25, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Piney_Bob

Piney_Bob New Member

Status Points:
    I am planning an extended visit to Ecuador to explore retirement there. I've done months of research on a variety of things. The day draws close to booking the journey. Departing flight would be JFK to either Quito or GYE with return from the opposite city. I've decided to go Business Class. Prices are all pretty similar. However I am completely stupid when it comes to the non USA carriers. Have heard not food things regarding Avianca and connecting through Bogota, Columbia, Copa and LAN are complete mysteries. AA & DL Business I'm told is more like domestic First Class as opposed to International Business.

The question then is who offers the best value, given that prices are usually within $100USD of each other. Also which Cities to avoid connecting flights. I should add that my Spanish at this time is fairly limited. Thanks in advance

mht_flyer, uggboy and daninstl like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Panama is an easy connection and English-speaking. They use the US Dollar as their currency. But, like the others, the premium product is basically domestic F seats. And crappy IFE.

The early flight on Avianca JFK-BOG-UIO/GYE on the 787 will offer, by far, the best premium cabin experience. The rest are mostly a wash.

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    LAN flies a 767 direct from JFK to GYE the aircraft while obviously not as new as the 787 is decent with flat (or near flat) C seats the cabin service will be better than Avianca and avoids the awful connection in BOG.

uggboy likes this.
  4. mrhasterrr

mrhasterrr Member

Status Points:
    Carribians are ok