Help on clarifying bag allowance for passengers traveling with star gold passenger

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by Aditya Vyas, Nov 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Aditya Vyas Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reposting here again. Help is appreciated .

I am traveling with my parents Bos-Bom via fra/muc on LH in feb. My question is would my parents be allowed to take extra bag? I travelled with my wifenlast year on Singapore to icn and sin and was allowed to do so. Tried looking on *A website but no clarity. Any help in this matter would be helpful

2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    What class of travel are you flying? LH is quite strict on its baggage policy. Fare class and status determines everything when it comes to bags.

3. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Economy but I am Star Gold ( Exect Prem or Platinum next year)

4. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    Officially, this benefit applies to the *G cardholder only.

In practice, there is a very good chance that it will also be extended to their travelling companion(s), as a courtesy, as long as they check-in together.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  5. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I just talked with united agent who told me that as star gold I can carry 3 bags and upto 8 passenger on same itinary can carry additional bags.
    I also talked with LH agent( very rude) who told methat as star gold member I can carry 3 bags( by the way he mentioned why am I calling LH when I am united elite) but no benefit to companions traveling on same itinary. This is bet surprising since I travelled on Singapore with my family and didn't have any issues. I a
    Confused with LH changing all their baggage policy. Maybe someone canguide me?

6. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    If by carry, you mean check 2 bags and one carry on, the yes, 3 total bags.

7. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    Why are you confused? [​IMG] The answers you have received (and your previous experience with SQ) are fully consistent with the OP:

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  8. jumbo_cards

jumbo_cards Silver Member

Status Points:
    *G luggage benefit should only apply to you the person. If someone else is traveling with you on the same PNR who is not *G is subject to interpretation by the agent regarding their baggage allowance. Some airlines makes this situation clear for their own elites:

e.g. United, but this officially only applies to 1P+ and not for general *G

Your wife who was allowed 3 checked luggage last time you two traveled to SIN was either agent who let you do it or agent who didn't know. Since you are flying under LH and checking in with LH then you are subject to the agent who is checking you guys in. My suggestion is to be nice and polite but there isn't anything that prevents them from denying extra checked bag for your companion.

There are also no rules around other "priority services" such as priority check-in/security or boarding, but I am often able to have my companions board and use priority lanes with me.

Aditya Vyas and KVS Tool like this.
  9. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Status Points:
    All thanks very much for valuable guidance and correcting my perception. I have booked tickets BOS-EWR-BOM thru CO and return BOM-FRA-BOS. I got clarification from Star alliance from their FB page.

The Star Alliance Gold benefit allows you to take an additional bag whenever the airline applies the piece concept or an additional 20kg if the weight concept is used. To assess your total entitlement as Star Alliance Gold, you need to chec
    k the base allowance for your class of travel on a particular airline and then add the additional Gold allowance, as outlined above. The total you, as a Gold cardholder, are allowed to take without charge can therefore vary by airline as the base entitlement also varies. The benefit only applies to the Gold cardholder, not to accompanying passengers, even if they are in the same PNR. For LH, flying in economy, you are entitled to one 23 kg bag as the base checked bags allowance and a second 23 kg bag due to your Gold status. In LH business, Gold members can take a total of three bags up to 32 kg each. I hope this helps to clarify the position for you. Please check the member airlines' own websites for additional information and also for rules on hand baggage size and weight.

NYBanker likes this.