Help needed with putting legs back on a half completed vacation

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by onlybeef42, Feb 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. onlybeef42
    Original Member

onlybeef42 Silver Member

Status Points:
    HELP! I’m in the middle of my 9 month vacation and two of its legs have fallen off. To make matters worse, the wife just admitted that I am not crazy for this mileage obsession.

Basically, I booked the following business class oneworld award ticket August 2011:

aus-dfw-mex-lim-cuz-(stop for week)-lim-mia-dfw-(stop until May 2012)-bna-jfk-bud-(stop for weekend)-dub-(stop for week)-ord-dfw-aus

I completed the aus-dfw-mex-lim-cuz-(stop)-lim-mia-dfw portion of the award in September 2011. The remainder of my trip is scheduled to take place in May/June of 2012.

AA has suspended my JFK-BUD flight and the BUD-DUB flight was on Malev, who is now bankrupt.

Today I spoke with a AA rep who was not overly helpful, and did not really understand what was going on with the oneworld award ticket. He’s only solution was to cancel the whole itinerary and return my taxes and mileage prorata for the unused portion of the trip. Based upon my calculations, his solution would only return 76,000 miles which is not even enough for me to rebook a replacement DUB vacation.

I plan to call another rep later today or tomorrow, and hope for a better experience. I am willing to forgo the BUD portion of my trip and go somewhere else; however, this first agent said I had to go to BUD. He said that though I could get to BUD on BA, but there was nothing that could be done about the BUD to DUB flight. I asked about Rule 80 and he paused, typed a little, and then said that Rule 80 shouldn’t apply. Before he put me on hold, yet again, to “talk to his supervisor”, I decided I would just call and play the agent lottery again later. In my mind the refund option only makes sense if I could at least get a Europe round trip to replace my loss.

Does anybody have any experience in a situation like this, or any advice for things I should ask for or suggest to the next AA agent?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nine month vacation! I want your job! Sorry I don't have an answer to yor question. Hopefully more AA routes won't disappear.

onlybeef42 likes this.
  3. onlybeef42
    Original Member

onlybeef42 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, its a 9 month "trip". I'd love for it to be "vacation" but I was using the term a little too generously. ;)

I just took advantage of how close AUS and DFW are which enabled me to book two "vacations" with multiple stopovers over a 9 month period.