help needed to combine 2 European trip awards

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by zippypam, Sep 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. zippypam

zippypam Silver Member

Status Points:
    After listening to the creative booking possibilities at this past weekend's Tampa FTU, I realize I may be burning miles unnecessarily or at the least not creatively using them. We are booked in a couple weeks with Avios on AB MIA DUS MXP and return. In May we need to get to STR (Stuttgart), spend about a month driving around, fly STR PRG and return home to MCO (though can drive from MIA if necessary).

Is there any way to use the creative magic that I heard over the weekend to maximize the use of my miles with these two trips? We have flexible time and lots of miles in both One World and Star Alliance. I don't need help booking, just creating an itinerary. Thanks! Oh - should this be posted on a different thread to get the most eyes on it?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great meeting you in Tampa.

I don't currently see any non-stop flights between STR-PRG on the timetable (http://wandr.me/Tools/Flight_Timetable.aspx), though that doesn't show most LCCs; you can try SkyScanner as well for that, though they won't be part of an award. There are a number of *A options for the route with connections in FRA, MUC, ZRH or VIE. Something like MCO-EWR-STR//STR-(cxn)-PRG/PRG-FRA-MCO is going to be your most direct/efficient route.

The need for a connection makes the Avios option less appealing.

I can't think of anything in particular which would add a ton of value in trying to integrate the two trips otherwise.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  3. MrB34N

MrB34N Active Member

Status Points:
    You might have better luck with United points as they show more availability for dates in the future. The itinerary you mention (MIA-MXP / PRG-MIA or MCO) will typically cost you 100,000 United pints). I've noticed that avios don't necessarily have the best availability this far out. There is no non-stop service from STR-PRG either :(

4. zippypam

zippypam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the help. It is what I found also but know that some of you can work miracles in planning awards. This one is a toughy.

Wandering Aramean likes this.