help needed relating to *G status through Aegean - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by jfhscott, Mar 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Other posts indicate that some folks have been quite successful earning Aegean Gold through 12/2014, and I might make a quasi-MR to make it happen. A non-US carrier *G card would be excellent for short domestic trips - which I anticipate will be my typical travel over the next few years. Not likely to bet more than 2P over the next few years.

Specifically, I'd do IAD-SFO-ANC-SFO-IAD in F. Cost is about $1800, and with the 1000 sign up bonus, and 399 miles already earned from a BOS-DCA, would get me the 20000 miles required.

A couple of questions arise, and I'd appreciate some guidance.

First, if I am relying on my *G status through Aegean for benefits such as lounge access and free checked bags, may I still earn miles/eqm and get e+ on UA? Or do I have to decide which program I must prefer and settle on it? That is, on one locator, can I be Aegean for some benefits but United for others?

Second, any thoughts on whether Aegean will right-size its *Gold requirements? *Gold is supposed to be a little tough, and if earned on Aegean flights the pain is in line with the benefits, but on other carriers it seems almost to good to be continued.

Third, people have been posting that they have been getting gold cards good through 2014 - any chance Aegean will shorten this period even for those who have had it issued?

Last, is there any guidance to be had about how to get the $1800 F fare to a more palatable number - are there domestic F consolidators?

I appreciate the collective guidance.

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    How much do you value *Gold? What would the cost of obtaining the benefits you seek through other channels (get low-tier elite on UA or pay for bags, pay for lounge access or get it through a CC, paying for "premier travel")

Do you fly enough pay less for the benefits by getting *Gold than you would from obtaining the benefits through other means? How highly do you value the benefits?

I've always felt that that route to lounge access makes the most sense for someone who flys a lot and has miles to burn. More of a great "secondary status". While it's a relatively easy target, if you're spending $1800 to get it you need to make sure you get at least $1800 of value from it.

3. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    *G will not get you E+, per the rules. You do get priority boarding.

They are probably trying to attract people to their program, so few people can tell you the risk of program revocation.

A CO Presidential Plus card, for example, gives you CO lounge membership (and UA/US/AC) without needing to travel on a *A carrier (*G requirement). At $395 dollars, your "Lounge" break even is 4.5 years.

$1800 is a lot for *G status on an airline you don't normally fly.

4. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Specifically for United it is actually possible to have two frequent flier numbers in the PNR. I have no experience with it myself, have only read about it here. It requires that you call in and have the additional number added. Others with experience with this can hopefully chip in.
    This is, as far as I know, unique to United. For other airlines you will have to use one number only.
    That can be circumvented by adding your Aegean number during the booking process and have it in the booking all the way to the gate where you can have the GA change it to your United number. It is not enough to just show your gold card if you have a different number in the booking in most cases.

Should give you no problem. A gold status member is a gold status member, regardless of the carrier that issued the card. There is however carrier specific benefits that only apply to their own elite members, like E+ on United.

5. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have read reports where this is no longer possible.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not believe those reports are accurate.

To the OP's question, I don't think it is worth it to bifurcate the points like this versus the reasonable cash costs of lounge access, but that's just me.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that SQ allows one to apply two different FF numbers to a trip, but I don't know the circumstances and rules.

8. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    that's because of the 'Double Dip' : first number to the FFP which collects miles, the second number for the PPS program which collects the amount of the ticket.

FlyIce and kraken like this.
  9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Checked in with AC at LGA this morning.

Me: Let me give you my Aegean number for miles credit.
    Air Canada Ticket Agent: What's Aegean?
    Me: A Greek airline.
    TA: Oh, we give miles on AC, UA, us, co, lh and a few others.
    Me: Aegean is one of the few others.
    TA: Sir, I've never heard of them.
    Me: Let me give you my number and let's see if it takes. [I read the number from my Blackberry.]
    TA: [Unnatural pause.]
    Me: The IATA code is A3.
    TA: Thanks. Lets see if it takes.
    TA: Wow. It even thinks you're an elite.

I took my boarding pass and was on my way.

Similar challenges checking in for a CA flight (departing pek), but I attribute that first to language, though I suspect if that ticket agent understood me, he would have also disputed their *A participation.

I will have the A3 gold card after one more *A flight and will start actually carrying the card for easy lounge access.

I kind of look forward to the funny reactions to trying to get my points credited to A3.

PVDtoDEL and cennas like this.
  10. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D

11. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Aegean top tier is designed for those living in Greece who would fly a lot of segments within the country and the occasional intra-European flight, but earn very few absolute miles. It is scaled for their travel patterns and thus has a low EQM requirement. At the moment this is being exploited by American-based FFers in the STAR world to exploit the low threshold so they get full lounge benefits when flying domestically on the three STAR US carriers. I don't expect Aegean to raise the threshold. If anything, I see them doing what AC recently did, which was require a minimum number of EQMs and segments be earned from its own flights, since its own Gold threshold is still 35K EQMs since the travel patterns of Canadian FFers more appropriately fits this level of flying.

12. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most, if not all, of the OW carriers have a four "native" flight minimum to earn status.

I was working on renewing my Gold Card with BA - met the tier points, but was one BA segment short. I asked for an exception (as a renewing Gold), and they said no.

I haven't flown BA since. (In fairness, this is principally because my travel patterns changed. I suspect I'll be back on them again soon.)

13. PVDtoDEL

PVDtoDEL Active Member

Status Points:
    But unlike BA, Aegean is not a massive airline and they care a bit more about PR... Also, my dealings with them over the phone and email have been very positive, they have been very responsive. I'd rate the chances of A3 giving an exception WAAY over BA giving an exception.

14. ohianjo
    Original Member

ohianjo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just recently had all 1K benefits when on UA metal, but with points posting to my OZ account... UA call centre staff said it was fine to enter two, but you have to specifically ask.

15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The latest batch of A3 *Gold cards have been reported to have December 2015 expiration dates. This includes late December qualifiers.

daemon14 likes this.
  16. lucky1

lucky1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    hi everyone I'm new here, can you please tell me, getting a gold status with star alliance/aegean is it done by flying enough to earn 20k points,or even by transferring 20k to aegean airlines
    thanks for your help

17. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    You get *G on A3 after flying 20K miles. Make sure to look at the booking class as many of the economy classes only get 50% of the miles.

lucky1 likes this.
  18. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    They're the FQTV and FQTS fields. The first is where miles get credited, and the second is to show status (as well as track PPS value). I've not have experience with UA but searching around seems to indicate that they practise this too.

19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you sign up, they give an initial 1,000 miles, which count for status as well as redemptions, so you only need to earn 19,000 miles to get *Gold.

20. FlyIce

FlyIce Silver Member

Status Points:
    As *G you get lounge access when flying Star, even domestic and not only priority boarding but also upgrade priority.

$1800 for *G status is nothing; that usually costs 10 times if earned the "hard way" with a normal mix of flights.

One question I can't answer is the ease of redemption of A3 miles.

21. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    For USA people, an advantage of *Gold through a foreign carrier is that it gives you lounge access even when flying UA/CO or US domestic flights.

22. FlyIce

FlyIce Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know, I enjoyed it as a Luthansa Senator in some of my short hops within USA ;)
    SkyTeam and OneWorld equivalents will not allow that.

23. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    However, there are alternatives. AmEx Plat gives access to US lounges even when not flying US and the real version of Priority Pass is good for most UCs now, even though PP-lite does not work any more.

FlyIce likes this.
  24. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although I did not try to redeem anything myself, they seem to have the same availability as every other star member. They recently introduced one-way redemption. There are down sides: the pesky YQ, no changes are allowed, and if cancelled only 50% of miles will be returned to the account.

25. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't give it on all *A carriers, though, and many *A lounges don't permit credit-card affiliate members (of whom there are many) in the lounge.

As an example of my own airport (SFO), there are apparently 12 lounges. Amex Platinum gives access to AA (1), DL (2), US (0). PriorityPass through Amex gives access to AS (1), but neither of the UA lounges permit CC-affiliates in. So that means Skyteam and OneWorld are represented for Platinum cardmembers, but not the other lounges.

Frankly, this is one reason why I've never upgraded to Platinum.