Help needed for mileage run ideas

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Ronnie Hansen, Jan 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Ronnie Hansen

Ronnie Hansen Active Member

Status Points:
    I am completely new to this forum. Signed up a week ago, and have spent all available time reading up on trick-its, learning the jargon etc. Not quite there, yet, though. I'm still super puzzled about using the ita matrix, dumping fuel etc - but I'll get there.

I've been massively scared about flying all my life, and had my first flight 2 years ago when my fiancee starting studying in the US - and had to. Since then, I've gone from massive panic attacks and black outs, aborting at the gate over severe fears and mild panic to now loving to fly and not being able to get enough of it. I can tell you great stories about being arrested in JFK for suspicious behavior, getting petty-upgrades on BA to first class (FA's can't handle a 2 meter tall man crying) etc.

For now, I've had 50 take-offs in 2 years. I've reached silver at SAS quite fast (flying out ofCPH), but now I will not be able to reach gold with in deadline (March '12) on pure miles (due to financial constraints - 2 first class flights to JFK would help a lot.) (Started focusing my flights for miles quite late, and have just recently gotten SAS-credit card etc). However, if I do 7 extra SAS-flights before March, I'll reach gold on my number of flights alone. I've tried using the ITA-matrix to find a cheap initiary just flying me around Scandinavia for a day checking out lounges, but have come up short. Can anyone give me some guidance?

Basicly, I'm looking for 7 qualifying SAS-flight out of CPH any day in February, potentially with a stop-over somewhere. Completely flexible, however looking for the best price. Had the idea, that it would be best luck to go through the SAS-hubs, but I'm starting to wonder whether this is the best idea? Something like CPH-ARN-OSL-TXL STOP TXL-OSL-ARN-CPH as I would have friends in Berlin to visit on a stop-over.

Any ideas mostly appreciated!

cennas likes this.
  2. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fly back and forward to AAR at 48 euro per segment? 35 minute flight, should be able to do 6 in one day. Pretty low value CPM though. 57 euro/segment CPH-ARN-LIN or CPH-OSL-BCN if the miles are useful too. Disclaimer I have no idea what qualifies for SAS though.

Ronnie Hansen likes this.
  3. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't help you, but would like to give you a warm welcome to MP Ronnie Hansen!

4. Ronnie Hansen

Ronnie Hansen Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you very much to both Cennas and Effseeoh.

Where did you find those segments at that price, Effseeoh?

Best,
    Ronnie

5. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    I priced them on matrix: CPH::SK+ to (within 300 miles)::SK+

6. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP, Ronnie, and congrats on beating the fear of flying. Be careful though, mile-hunting is addictive :)

SAS is a little tricky to do mileage runs, since SAS use one-way fares intra-Europe, however segment runs which is what you are looking for is doable. Doing back and forth to Aalborg or Aarhus have been done (not by me though). You can catch the same plane back and easily make 6 trips in one day to Aalborg. There is no lounge in Aalborg though and the lounge in CPH, as you know, is far from the domestic terminal, so you day is not going to be much fun :)

I suggest you visit the SAS Eurobonus forum on MP to try to ask for advice there. I'm not sure all SAS-afficionados read the Newbie forum: http://milepoint.com/forums/forums/sas-eurobonus.94/