Help needed: DCA – HNL (or other Hawaii airport) with stopover in AUS on return for AUS BBQ Do

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by iolaire, Jul 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I’m thinking of spending Presidents Day in Hawaii with my wife and trying to return with a stopover in AUS (or DFW) to attend the Austin BBQ Do (as we attend every year now). Generally my award bookings are straight forward so I’m out of my league if I try to optimize this to use the least amount of points possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to route this to do something like DCA – HNL (destination) -> AUS (stop over) -> DCA? If it worked the stopover could be in another close airport like DFW and I could use Avios for the short hall to AUS… Dates are outbound around February 13th plus or minus a few days, need to be in AUS on the 20th, and return on Sunday the 23rd.

I have the needed points, if I can keep the cost in line with a round trip in most programs, except I don’t have UA/UR points – I do have ample Amex MR for transfer, BA, AA, US, and DL. I priced this out on DL and it’s about 90K each, AA’s website wanted to price it as three awards.

Thank you for your ideas, iolaire

boondr likes this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA will let me price this route out for 40k miles; would US allow the same routing and would price it out about the same since Star Alliance US -> HI is 40k?

IAD -> SFO -> HNL (destination) -> SFO -> AUS (stop 4 days) -> IAH -> DCA
    all on UA metal

(Or AirCanada via Amex transfer?)

boondr likes this.