Help needed....barclays wants to claw back the CC bonus miles

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by cotter77, Apr 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got that 30 or 40k barclays USair mastercard....supposedly its churnable?
    its been a year, sitting on 34k miles.
    want to keep them
    I called to cancel the card cuz the last thing i need is an annual fee and the dude CSR said that I forfeit any of the bonus miles earned from the card....is this possible? Even when they got spent on flights last summer? can they call USair and deduct miles from my account?

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    More knowledgeable people than me will reply. But I doubt very much that after having the card for a year and having fulfilled the published requirements to get your miles that they credit card company would be entitled or able to pull back any points already in your frequent flier account, whether used or not.

What's possible is that you would forfeit any points already earned on the card that have not yet posted to your frequent flier account.

Kalboz and Quasiconvexity like this.
  3. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    oh yes....the few dozen or hundred on last months bill dont bother me.....and i think thats generally what refer to in order to scare you but on the phone they make it sound like they ca take them all back

Kalboz likes this.
  4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would wait for someone with more certain knowledge than me to weigh in — my post is just a guess about what's sensible and likely to be possible and is not based on inside knowledge or experience.

Kalboz likes this.
  5. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Have never heard of Barclays trying to "claw back" points, nor have I seen anything in their T&Cs that would allow this. I can fully understand not getting points for the current months expenditures as you are no longer a customer.

Other CC companies have given the same erroneous information when trying to cancel their card.

6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would call back and talk to a different CSR. I seriously doubt that Barclay's would even try to do this.

PointHoarder likes this.
  7. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Barclays will claw back miles granted for a charge that is later credited, if no subsequent awarded miles can be offset. It will not claw back signup bonuses.

Kalboz likes this.
  8. farhanmehta

farhanmehta Active Member

Status Points:
    They won't take the back the sign-on bonus. The only thing would not get is the annual 10k bonus which they give if you pay the fee.

Kalboz likes this.
  9. PointHoarder
    Original Member

PointHoarder Silver Member

Status Points:
    If they did try something like that, I would think they would be opening themselves to all sorts of legal trouble.
    If people fulfill their end of the T&CS qualifying them for the bonus miles and receive them, I fail to see how Barclays could justify taking them back. You'd essentially become hostage to Barclays.
    Seems like another instance of shoddy CSR work. :rolleyes:

Kalboz and miles and smiles like this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or simply a misunderstanding?

11. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ok....so must be a misunderstanding
    I got paranoid after reading one of the bloggers posts about Citi reps clawing back miles and threatening to close your AAdvantage account which really does not make sense...but i had to be sure that is not what was implicated at barclays.

Kalboz likes this.
  12. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Extra Pack of Peanuts Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with the all the above posters that while I'm no expert, I can't see them "clawing back" your miles, especially since they are already spent. If you've filled the T&C's, as it seems you have, then you should be fine.

Regarding it being churnable, I was able to get one in Sept. 2011 and then a second one in April 2012. I still have the first one open as well.

One thing to consider, if you haven't already: I know you don't want to pay the annual fee, but for many people, the 10k anniversary miles off-sets that fee. If you are nervous about them clawing back after calling and talking with another CSR, maybe it is worth keeping it open and taking the bonus miles?

Kalboz likes this.
  13. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you been using the card (it sounds like it)? There is a provision in their T&C that you must use the card every 6 months or forfeit any miles.

14. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Really... uh oh! My husband and I both got cards. He did just use his for US Airways tickets...but mine has been sitting in a drawer since I got the sign up bonus....better look into when I last used the card.

Kalboz likes this.
  15. bluedot

bluedot Active Member

Status Points:
    I called to cancel and specifically asked about the signup going away. The CSR wasn't sure and conferenced in US Airways by calling the main US number no less! I hung up at the hilarity and filed it away as a todo for a later date.

Kalboz likes this.
  16. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why is it people want to cancel a card that gives 10k miles and a companion ticket in exchange for $89?

Kalboz, harvson3 and LETTERBOY like this.
  17. fyfedog

fyfedog Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmmmm. Good to know someone reads those! Need to pull it out for more than the grand slam

Kalboz likes this.
  18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Failure to pay the Annual Fee may result in forfeiture of Bonus Miles and other benefits"

"Eligibility: To participate in the Program, your Account must remain in good standing which means your Account must remain open with active charging privileges, you must maintain your creditworthiness, you must pay your Annual Fee, and you must use your Account for at least one transaction every six (6) months that is not later rescinded or returned. Good standing also means you are not in default under the Cardmember Agreement. Failure to pay the Annual Fee or to maintain the account in good standing may result in Account closure and forfeiture of these benefits. In addition, if your payment is late in any billing cycle, this may result in the forfeiture of Mileage Credit earned in that billing cycle."

While they might not ordinarily stay to the letter of these T&C's there is considerable latitude in definitions if they wish to claw back.
    Such restrictions are becoming far more common as are seemingly retroactive enforcement of T&C's intended to reduce churning.
    Be careful!

19. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I read this to mean forfeiture regarding getting points / miles for any FUTURE activity / purchase. Not forfeiture of all PAST benefits.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  20. upgrade

upgrade Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think that reading makes sense, alas: if you haven't used the card in 6 months, there are no pending points that could be forfeited.

More importantly, Barclays reportedly acts in erratic and arbitrary ways. I would not risk giving them an opening to enforce this provision.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  21. bluedot

bluedot Active Member

Status Points:
    To churn it

Kalboz likes this.
  22. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pure speculation, but I suspect it is a CSR just coming up with some BS to get you to keep the card. I wouldn't be surprised to find out they have an internal incentive program designed to get the CSR to talk you out of canceling.

deant and Kalboz like this.
  23. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    You don't have to cancel your card before you apply for another.

deant and merice107 like this.
  24. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    A better way is to wait for the 10K to post and then cancel before the fee is due. ;)

arkleseizure and deant like this.
  25. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hang up and call again!

marcwint55 and deant like this.