Help narrowing down Paris hotel for 3 people/3 nights 2014

Discussion in 'Europe' started by MSYgirl, Dec 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed in Paris before but never with 3 people+, so finding options for more people/beds is confusing. I'm looking to book three nights at the end of May 2014/beginning of June, and the dates are a little flexible since the flights aren't booked yet. I have searched plenty of different websites and have a spinning head from all the reading. I get plenty of results but when trying to check availability, they can't accommodate three people. I get the three people covered, then the distance or budget is blown. And on and on. You get the idea.

Restrictions I was given (sigh): Needs to be within 5-10 minutes walk from the Eiffel Tower (or a straight run to it via tube/bus from further away) and around $900 total for three nights (655 Euro)/ $300 per night (218 Euro). Three beds or one large/one small bed would work, too.

I'd prefer to stick with Hilton or Marriott (holding a free Category 5 cert) where I'm growing a nice collection of miles in both, but they are borderline for price/distance with limited offerings in the area. I don't want to pass up another chain if they have a better accommodation for my needs, so I won't rule out other chains/hotels or joining another program (but will secretly whimper without points, you know you do it, too, stop looking at me like that).

I'm not in a hurry to book it since I'm still waiting on the go ahead from another person, but I'd like to narrow down the accommodation options so I can cyber-stalk each hotel option for a better deal up until I book the trip (you do that too, quit with the leery eye).

Thanks in advance.

uggboy and Newscience like this.
  2. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to elaborate mostly on the Marriott angle, I have never stayed at Hilton properties in Paris.

If you want the direct access via Metro, your best bet is Paris Marriott Rive Gauche. It's about a 20 minute Metro ride (Line 6, Glaciere is the hotel stop, Bir-Hakiem for Eiffel Tower), and about a 10-minute walk from the stop (both stops with steps).

As the crow files, the closest is the Renaissance Le Parc Trocadero. You're talking about a slightly hilly ~15 minute walk to Le Tour Eiffel. The catch is the price, usually around 400-500 Euros a night there. I have never stayed there.

I have stayed at the Rive Gauche. It's a good mix of concessions....not in the heart of the touristy stuff, right on a Metro Line, and not too expensive by Paris standards. Unfortunately, this hotel has gone up in cost, and I don't think they have done anything to justify it (other than a small lobby remodel). It used to be a Category 5, but it's now up to a Category 7 (which I think is ridiculous).

It's about 250-300 Euros a night there. It's also the hotel for crews from several airlines. The Executive Lounge can sometimes be a day care, and is often a zoo without kids.

Room size: with an extra bed, you might be able to get away with three people in a standard room. No way for four (unless you got a Junior Suite with an extra bed or two). But this is typical for a Parisian hotel room, they're all small. This Marriott is actually a little larger than others (I think this was a Sofitel many years ago).

If you want affordability, and even to use that Cat 5 cert, you're going to have to go out, way out. Just don't stay at a hotel that requires you to ride on Metro Lines 2 or 13 (like the Courtyard in St Denis), those two lines are not good places to be on at night.

Forget the Marriott on Champs-Elysees....very small, no CL and overpriced from what I hear regularly. Even though it's near, it's hard to get to the Eiffel Tower via Metro from there.

You may want to look at boutique hotels nearby if the Eiffel Tower if that location is an absolute must.

Metro Line 6 (Bir-Hakiem), as mentioned earlier, is the closest Metro stop. On RER, the Line C stop is a little closer (Champ du Mars, Tour Eiffel is the closest).

One last thing is the Marriott LNF guarantee. The last couple of years, it's been harder to get successful claims, but it's not flat-out impossible. If you want to stay at a Marriott property, I'd invest a couple of hours and see if you can find something through LNF. I have never been able to get a successful claim at any Marriott Paris Property other than Marriott Rive Gauche or Renaissance in La Defense.

One more thought: you may want to consider vrbo.com to rent a flat for the number of people in our group.

Bonne chance (good luck).

uggboy and MSYgirl like this.
  3. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the information. I'm not married to the idea of a Marriott but figured it would add some great points. I'll check out the Hiltons and the other boutique options in the areas you mentioned.

uggboy likes this.
  4. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I added a comment after I posted....consider vrbo.com for the size of your party.

5. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    No points here but I was looking at two hotels my travel agent suggested on my recent Paris visit (I ended up staying with friend) but the prices were reasonable for 3 star boutiques -Eiffel Seine and Hotel Jardins d'Eiffel (superior rooms have view of Tour l'Eiffel

6. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    VRBO.com has some promising possibilities with great reviews and prices for the area needed. I'll also check out the hotels mentioned by @philatravelgirl. Thanks. :)

uggboy likes this.
  7. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The plans have changed again. Now it looks like we will be a party of four (three flying over from the US, one meeting us in London to take the Eurostar to Paris). Luckily the dates are flexible and have changed again, going from May/June range to middle of August (not much better fare-wise but gives us time for possible fare changes and saving up).

Doing a search for 4 people lands me at a Hilton not far from our target area (Hilton La Defense). The price was more than some other places I was considering, but it seems doable still when split by the group (Junior Suite IIRC). There's a king bed and a sofa bed, so it will accommodate all 4. There is another Hilton opening not far from our target area, so I think we are going to hold off booking the hotel until the new Hilton opens (Concorde Opera Paris, launch date projected March 2014).

@philatravelgirl Thank you again for your suggestion. I did look through VRBO, and there were some really great options. However, earning miles from a hotel program pretty much won me over once I saw how close the Hilton was. I'm making the booking for the group, so I'll get all the points. :D

So for now it's waiting until the new Hilton opens, comparing it with La Defense, then looking at airfare.

uggboy likes this.