help! Missed 1st Segment, 2nd segment cancelled

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by chee4869, Sep 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. chee4869

chee4869 Active Member

Status Points:
    My Aunt bought a ticket for Sept 2 and returning today. She had to fly earlier using awards (her brother passed away) and didn't get to inform United about missing the first segment. I was now ready to do an online checkin but can't find the flight. I called United and was told that the whole ticket was cancelled and was told that we should've called before the flight. Any idea what to do? They want us to buy another ticket.

2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It is absolutely normal when you miss the first segment for them to cancel the rest of the ticket.

Was the ticket a non-refundable ticket? I know this is water under the bridge, but when you found out you needed to fly earlier than planned, why didn't you pay the change fee and change the original tickets instead of buying "new" award tickets?

I don't know what can be done now except call again and beg for mercy.

skyvan and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that if it's past 2 hrs or so ('flat tire rule') from the original scheduled flight, the OP may be SOL!:(

4. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Sounds like it is 2 WEEKS past the missed segment (actually it sounds like it was the first leg of the trip).

5. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I understand the date issues, -- but was just trying to explain the 'policy' as I understand it!;) Your advice was accurate, IME.

6. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    You pretty much can't do anything other than to call UA and beg which I think won't help at this point. As others mentioned for future reference, you should always make a change or cancel a ticket before the first leg of a flight if you want to retain any value from an original ticket.