Help me with my credit card situation..

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by PAinNY, Oct 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi and thanks in advance

I am trying to max out the miles I can get with a new credit card. I am only loyal to AA and UA

These are the cards I have and how I feel about them and need suggestions as what to get rid of and what to apply for. By the way, my husband has most of the same cards so we are paying two annual fees..what a waste.

SPG - Love the card and won't part with it. Got miles for opening account, got many miles for opening new accounts at TD Ameritrade. Hubby and I will both keep this card - I have over 6 accounts with TD and no problem getting the miles - 9 months later I close the account and open another.
    United Mileage Plus Explorer just applied a month ago and rec'd the card ..added hubby so will get 30,000 miles to start - he will also get his own card and add me
    CitiAAVisa don't think I need this and my anniversary is coming up. I do get miles montly from Bank Direct...will cancel this as long as I can keep my miles active with Bank Direct
    Citi AX - didn't need this but they sent it and gave me the bonus miles - will cancel after the 6 months is up
    Chase Sapphire I like this card because of no foreign transaction fees but hubby has one two. We always travel together so I think one of us can cancel - thoughts?
    Chase One Pass Plus used this card mostly together with SPG but now that I have United mileage plus do I really need this?

Ok, so I can cancel some of the above - what can I apply for that will give me miles in either United or AA..not intererested in Delta. Wouldn't mind having a Marriott card but from what I remember it costs a zillion miles for one night ..ok..a little bit of an exaggeration. We mainly travel to Europe and that's where I would need hotels - US hotels are more affordable where we travel. Are there any other cards with no foreign transaction fees that offer miles or travel awards that are worth it.

Appreciate the help, I put this in the newbie forum because I didn't know where else to put it and I thought newbies might have the same type of questions.

Pat

savingrace likes this.
  2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Agree that it is a waste to pay two annual fees.

First suggestion is to reduce the Sapphire card to one account. No reason to have 2.

As for the AA cards, as long as you can keep the AA account active, then why carry the cards?

Other than that, I think you are on the right track.

PAinNY likes this.
  3. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, thanks for the advice. Another question, I just received the United card this month. I think I would like to apply for the Priority Club (60,000 pts) but right now I have 3 with Chase. Should I cancel my Sapphire and One Pass and then apply for the PC? Do I have to wait awhile before applying for the Priority Club? I just joined and have the 60,000 pt offer or else I wouldn't be interested. Hubby will keep the Sapphire and is apply now for the United Card.
    Thanks again
    Pat

4. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't done this, but it is my understanding that you should keeps the accounts open if you are applying for a new card with Chase. If the new card is declined, you can offer to lower the credit limit on one of the old accounts or close it completely.

For Priority Club, the 60,000 points is a standard offer. I would wait to see if you get the 80,000 point offer. I received the 80,000 pt offer after I earned gold status. I do not know if the was the trigger, but no one else in my family have received the offer.

PAinNY likes this.
  5. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok great and thanks again for the advice. I don't really need the PC right now so I will hold off on that one.
    I have time to cancel my other Chase cards.
    Thank you!

6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    No one has ever figured out the trigger for the PC 80,000 point offer - at least not to my knowledge. I got my offer almost a year ago and have heard from many others, but no clear pattern has ever emerged.

PAinNY likes this.
  7. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only thing that worries me and would be the same for you about the Chase Sapphire card is if you have the Preferred card which I'm assuming you do due to the 50K bonus. The card gives you a 7% dividend at the end of the year but my question is do they still give it to you if you close the card?

PAinNY likes this.
  8. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I would assume that the card needs to be open in order to get the bonus.

Also, remember that Chase does not like to approve too many cards in a 6 month period.

PAinNY likes this.
  9. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the Sapphire when it was only 25,000 miles. Right after that (about a month) the 50,000 offer became available and they turned me down and said 25,000 is all that I am getting.

Re Chase not approving too many cards in 6 month period - I think that's why I will hold off on the Priority Club

Doesn't citibank have any other cards other than visa and mc?

10. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been able to get a new Chase card every 5 months, with 50% increase in the credit limit each time vs. the previous application. Clearly they like me. :cool: But yeah, lots of people get burned, too. I recommend you keep Chase cards open when applying for a new one to use as a bargaining chip, but don't go out of your way to request credit limit increases either. The only reason to close an account is to avoid the fee, which you mentioned was an issue, but you might be able to get it waived.

PAinNY likes this.
  11. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I will keep Sapphire open as a bargaining chip - thanks for the advice