Help me with expiring UA SWUs...

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by bonnerbl, Sep 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have four of them that expire this year. That means two trips (me and spouse) to fit in Nov-Dec. Am already booked for SFO-IST at Thanksgiving. Have been using KVS/FareCompare/etc to figure out where to go - one week at a time on a UA nonstop. Tried SYD, NRT, MEX but none have award availability for an SWU. FRA is a possiblity if we want to go there for the 4th time this year :->. Anyone have some ideas for me -and- how can I find a list of UA's direct flights from SFO to wherever? Help please.

Quasiconvexity and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you try ICN?

Sweet Willie and JohnDeere19 like this.
  3. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Realizing that I started too late to try to get a confirmed upgrade to anywhere in December.

5. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, if you qualify for 1K next year, in past yrs, you have been able to extend one SWU for another 12 months. I am not sure if this will be happening again, but if your upgrades don't clear, this may be an option.

6. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not so. For instance, SFO-ICN on 12/1 return 12/11 is NC9 both ways. 747 so flatbed seats.

Edit to add: forgot to mention that a bunch of other days are available as well.

7. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ended up with an sfo-iad-bog itinerary. snagged an upgrade using ExpertFlyer which I now heartily recommend!

8. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats! and enjoy!

9. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been a 1K for years. Back when they were paper, and you got it in the mail, with your credentials. In my experience, most of these clear 1 month to close to departure. You will need to try your luck and hope it clears. Booking non peak time, and avoid major conventions. I.e going to Canton Fair in HKG