Help me upgrade an AA redeye in a few weeks?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by oostevo, Jul 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. oostevo

oostevo Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I have a redeye American Airlines flight from LAS->MIA at the end of the month. I'm booked into coach, but if at all possible, I'd like to be in the front of the plane so that I don't have to try to sleep in a coach seat.

I don't have elite status in any program, but I do have ~115,000 BA miles, ~1000 AA miles, and ~3200 Ultimate Rewards points. I'd also be willing to spend a few hundred dollars if needed.

What are my options for upgrading? Are there any? Am I too late?

(Also, since this is my first post, please let me know if this would be more appropriately handled in the Newbies section.)

travelinmike33 and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's the fare of your ticket...Full fare makes a difference.

3. oostevo

oostevo Active Member

Status Points:
    My administrative assistant booked it for me through Amex, so I couldn't see what it was at booking. I've tried to use the search feature to look for how to find the AA fare class for already booked flights, but I haven't come up with anything.

Could you explain how to find the fare class with only, say, a record locator?

Thanks!

4. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    a) Go to aa.com
    b) Click "My Reservations/Flight Check-In" tab
    c) Next to "continue without logging in" click "Continue"
    d) Enter your first inital, last name and Record Locator
    e) Click "Go"
    f) Your reservation will show Cabin Booking Code. The "Booking Code" letter is your fare class.

oostevo likes this.
  5. oostevo

oostevo Active Member

Status Points:
    There are two segments: AA1842 from LAS->MIA and AA1152 from MIA->DCA. The only segment I'm really concerned about is the LAS->MIA one.

The AA1842 flight has the Economy/W code and the A1152 segment is Economy/Q.

This web site[1] leads me to believe that the segments are the 7th tier fare and 12th tier fares, respectively. So what does knowing this help me do?

(p.s. Thanks, folks!)

[1] http://cwsi.net/aa.htm

6. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking at the BA website, you can only use BA miles to upgrade AA flights in J,C,D,Y,B.
    http://www.britishairways.com/travel/ecredeemupgrademiles/public/en_gb

AA offers complimentary upgrades on full-fare domestic tickets.
    http://www.aa.com/i18n/information/fareClassDefinitions.jsp

You might be offered a paid upgrade at kiosk check-in but there's no way to predict when and where these are offered. These are referred to as LFBU upgrades (load factor based upgrade). They charge $45 for each 500 miles of travel.

lin821 likes this.
  7. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You may have to win a ton of money in Vegas and just buy an F ticket.;) Alternatively, if you have a pal or relative or business associate who has excess AA miles or SWU's you may be able to get them to help you. Good luck.