Help me solve the dilemma...

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Mirror74, Sep 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hay. I am currently Milleage Plus Premier Gold member and it looks like I will be having appx. 71.700 miles after 27th of November 2012 (my last trip)... just some 3.300 miles short for Premier Platinum membership... my dilemma: as I am stationed in Central Europe, 3.300 miles is not too easy to get... is Platinum status worth it or not?

Kalboz likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could presumably buy them from UA without flying.

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/current-eqm-price.34395/

For me the big benefit would be the fee waiver on award ticket changes that Plat and 1K get. You'd also get a 75% RDM bonus instead of 50%. So if you flew another 70k miles next year, that would be an extra 17,500 RDM earned.

Kalboz, Ygor, IDGflygirl and 2 others like this.
  3. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Silver has been so devalued that Gold is really the first true Premier status that means anything. I made Platinum on my last flight of 2011, so it's hard to say how much worse it would have been to have been Gold post-merger, but my UGs actually went down for several months.

That said, they have been pretty reliable ( >75% ) recently, and as Platinum I seem to be right on the "iffy" line when wait-listed. You'll probably have to buy a ticket that will give you a 4000 mile PQM offer, buy the miles, then cancel it if you don't plan to travel. Not sure what that will cost you, as there is little or no consistency from what I have read on the posts here, but if under $500 and you plan to do an equal or greater amount of travel next year, I would say it's worth it.

The good/bad thing about the merger is how huge the airline now is. Good because it offers so many destinations. Bad because there are so darned many other Premiers to compete with. I realize my advice is clear as mud, but I hope it gives you something additional to consider.

Kalboz and mirohacek like this.
  4. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would also suggest auditing your account. It might not get that 3k you need, but every little bit helps.

8MiHi and mirohacek like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd likely pay the ~$350-400 for the extra PQMs & RDMs. The RPUs may be of less value based in Europe but the reduced fees would be of significant value to me.

genemk2, Kalboz, IDGflygirl and 2 others like this.
  6. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I was thinking the same... 75% RDM bonus instead of 50% and reduced fees seem to be of value... also RPUs wont be wasted ;), as I have some US travel planned for 2013... :D Thanx to all.

Kalboz, Ygor, IDGflygirl and 2 others like this.
  7. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good luck in planning out your approach. Just to add one other thing that may be of interest: Platinum is also supposed to give you greater availability of saver awards in the front cabin(s). This can be of interest to family members looking to travel, too.:)

Kalboz and mirohacek like this.
  8. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Supposed to? If it is true, that would be even greater... as I have some stockpiled miles to burn... :cool: But it is aso sad that some partner front cabins are not too widely available for awards, if at all (LH, Swiss...)...

8MiHi, Kalboz and KenInEscazu like this.
  9. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    It does seem to always offer me plenty of front cabin options on most routes that I fly with miles. Clearly another reason to go for it, according to your post. Best of luck to you.

Things do seem to be improving (typed with fingers crossed), so if that trend continues you should be glad you paid it a year from now. Especially since you also added the US domestic plans. Every status level bump improves your CPU chances.

And the fee-free cancelation of award reservations has been huge for me, btw. I make and change those all the time as I have a long-distance girlfriend who I often want to see sooner than scheduled. It also means I can switch to another program if the miles post there on time, saving my MP miles for more adventurous destinations later.

8MiHi, Kalboz and mirohacek like this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It only applies on UA metal.

8MiHi and Kalboz like this.
  11. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too bad...

8MiHi and Kalboz like this.