Help me select a hotel program!

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Up&Away, Mar 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Up&Away

Up&Away Silver Member

Status Points:
    My husband earned the SW companion pass this year. We have 2 young boys, the oldest of which will start kindergarten this fall. Factoring those 2 things together, we've decided to do several long-weekend trips this year and next since we can pay for husband's ticket, I'll fly free, and (hopefully) stretch the points for the boys tickets. We don't have set destinations since we'll probably just wait for SW sales to pop up and see where we can get good deals.

All that being said to ask: what hotel program should I work on collecting points in so that we can stay for free...or at least cheap? I currently have 110k+ in Club Carlson (+Gold status) thanks to the promo they ran last fall, 11k in Hilton (+Gold status), and 1800 in Hyatt (+Platinum status) and I do have the Hyatt cc. I also have the Chase Sapphire Preferred and use that as my primary cc to earn points which I can use for hotels.

I was throwing a cc app party for myself April 1 and am considering trying to beef up my hotel accounts. Which one would you go with for domestic hotel redemptions? I am also planning a Europe trip (most like Italy) in the summer of 2014 which I want to keep in mind while I'm earning/spending hotel points over the next couple of years. (Or is that so far our I don't need to worry about it now???)

2. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have a family of 3 with one boy now 4 years old. I do not do any travel for work but we love ot take "little trips" as well as big trips. We have chosen Hilton as our goto chain for a few reasons. I was able to make gold quickly with MVP then maintian it with the hilton amex card. we live near los angeles and we make weekend trips to palm springs and san diego about every other month. by searching we can ussualy find inexpensive rooms at one hilton or another in those cities, plus as gold the free breakfast really comes in handy. we also seem to have great luck with upgrades, so we feal we are rewarded for our loyalty.
    the addition of pretty good quarterly promotions help in the collection of points like next Q2 with the double points selection and using the hilton surpass card i will earn 36.5 pts per dollar,
    we will be spending a week at the hilton waikoloa village next quarter as gold the redemption for 7 nights was just 37500 per night.
    finally the reason hilton works for us is that the citi visa can be churned every 3 months for both myself and my wife, then she can make arawd bookings for me using my gold status for the satys.

Up&Away, perryplatypus and uggboy like this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the Priority Club program due to flexability and awards redemption.
    Points never expire, they have 'point breaks' which are reward nights for only 5000 points. I have been able to benefit from this several times. The point and cash option is also nice. This will allow you to book stays for $40 or $60 depending on the property and points required. In addition there is good coverage, you are never too far from one of their properties.

4. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The problem I have with PC is consistency - when I go to Hampton Inn, or Hilton Garden Inn I know exactly what I am getting. Might be boring, but very consistent across the network. With PC, it is a surprise every-time. PC has good coverage, but for me the lack of high-end proprieties that can be redeemed with a discount is a minus. I like the AXON and GLON award Hilton has which provide substantial saving on redemption.

5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very good point! That said, living in the UK, the price point for PC properties has been better than Hilton properties much of the time...this has also been true for many of my travels in Europe. :(

6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    2014 is not too far out to plan. You can not get points at a "drop of the hat" so you need to plan ahead and make sure that you have the points you need for your future trips.

Up&Away and uggboy like this.
  7. Up&Away

Up&Away Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the replies. I was leaning towards Hilton, so I think I will put those 2 cards on my list. The breakfast will be a big plus for us, too.

What are AXON and GLON rewards? (as I head over to the Hilton forum to read up....)

uggboy likes this.
  8. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Those are VIP award and Amex card holder wards that gives discount on redemption when booking several nights. AXON is good only for 4 nights (or multiplication of 4 nights), while the GLON award goes from 4 night to 10 I believe.

You can see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...reward-options-axon-glon-everything-else.html for a great summary.

Up&Away likes this.
  9. Up&Away

Up&Away Silver Member

Status Points: