Help Me Get to Rio, Brazil with 80k points

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by rmcintoshtraveler, May 4, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. rmcintoshtraveler

rmcintoshtraveler New Member

Status Points:
    Im looking to book 2 round trip tickets to Rio De Janeiro, Brazil from an airport near NYC within the next 4-5 weeks. Were looking to stay for about 2 weeks and plan to rent an apt/house when we get there on AirBnB. I currently have around 50,000 Chase UR points and 27,000 AMEX points. This would be my first time using miles/points for a trip. I found RT flights for around $644 on AA using Google Explore Flights.

My plan is to bid at 50% off on Priceline and hopefully get both tickets for a total of $644. I'd like to get both tickets with only these points if possible. Does anyone have any other suggestions for optimizing the value of my points? I know CUR and AMEX points are valued higher than other programs. How would I put this into practice in this case?

Any guidance would be very helpful.

Thank you!

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not think your expectations are realistic.

3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    To purchase tickets with airline miles, your first step should be joining the airline frequent traveler programs. Chase UR points can be transferred to United Airlines miles or British Airways Avios, and AmEx points to BA as well. Unfortunately, neither program can tranfer points to AA miles.

If you're looking to purchase tickets with cash (coming from points), that process will usually not give you the best value for your points.

anileze and traveltoomuch like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You don't have enough points for two r/t tickets between NYC and Rio. Not gonna happen.

That $644 r/t fare is a bargain. I'd grab it and be very happy with the deal you secured.

HawaiianCorgi, Mikus33, MX and 6 others like this.
  5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    And there's no way you cut it in half either.

skyvan likes this.
  6. rmcintoshtraveler

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info. If I book through Chase UR the RT price is $664 (53,146 pts) on both AA and US Airways and $684 (54,746 pts) on United. I also get a 25% points bonus when I book through Chase. I only have 48,000 CUR points. Is there a way to use some of the AMEX points for the balance through Chase? I also get a 25% points bonus when I book through Chase.

Whats the best way to combine CUR and AMEX points. Is transferring to BA Avios the only option?

To get this price I have to book directly with US Airways. Can my points transfer to US Airways? I can book US Airways flights through CUR but I dont see it at that price. Its $684 through CUR.

Is it true that just because I can book a flight with a partner airline through Chase, this doesn't mean I can transfer points to that airline otherwise?

7. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    No. Although you could just cash out the Chase points ($.01/point) and go from there.

You seem to be missing what we are trying to tell you, and that is that booking through Chase is essentially using points as cash equivalents and will likely not give you the best redemption value. The best value is to be found by transferring points into an airline program. But you don't have enough points to get round trip tickets anyway. And you're looking a good-value economy fares. Consider paying cash and saving the points for a different day.

It depends on your goals. Singapore KrisFlyer and Virgin Atlantic Flying Club are also partners of both programs.

And there's the "cash out" option. We might shake our heads that you'd choose to use it, but it's an option.

No, and no.

HawaiianCorgi, MX and anileze like this.
  8. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Using points or miles for a ticket, comes from a different pool. You cannot do it with a mere substitution. I know that some Airline branded CC allow you to use miles to pay for tickets, but I'm not sure it applies in your case.

daninstl likes this.
  9. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you should buy the tickets or buy one award and one ticket if you can get a price under $800. Oh and I assume you already have a Visa for Brazil, right...

HawaiianCorgi, MX and traveltoomuch like this.
  10. rmcintoshtraveler

Status Points:
    Thank you for all the information I need to spend some time and think this through

traveltoomuch likes this.
  11. rmcintoshtraveler

Status Points:
    We decided to go to either Cabo or Cancun Mexico this time around. We didnt realize we needed Visas and have to book the trip even before applying for the Visas. Also 2 weeks in Rio was out of our budget even with AirBnB accommodation.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hang around here and become part of the community to learn how to best earn and burn miles. While there is no free lunch and the loyalty programs have gone somewhat downhill in recent years (certainly since I started getting into the game), it might still be helpful in getting you the most for your bucks (and miles).