Help me get to italy

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by michael21, Feb 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys I never understood how points can be addictive until I just started! I'm trying to save for a trip to Rome for a week for myself and my wife. I have:

53,000 ultimate reward
    50,000 Marriott
    30,000 united
    30,000 delta

Someone mentioned that a round trip with united is 60,000 so I should transfer 30,000 points to united and that'll get me one ticket.

How should I go about finishing off the 2nd ticket (I'd have 20k left in UR)

Thank you for any suggestions!

Jett Rink likes this.
  2. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are quite far away from having enough miles for both tickets - how about United credit card to top it off, or a UR card for the wife?

3. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Time frame, please. Otherwise the response is simple: just wait and collect.

And judging by those numbers, you've done a little AOR to get all those points...

4. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    -I just got the united/continental card
    -were hoping to go sometime like August or September.

5. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And what is AOR...app o Rama?

6. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you double click AOR, you will get the answer :D

FlyingBear likes this.
  7. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes.

Start spending, do all online shopping through the portals, apply for card(s) for your wife, use TopGuest for a few extra points. If you had any trips planned before then, take them on the airline of choice.

Did you actually see how many miles/points you'll need for the flights and hotels? You'll be going to Italy during their high season when no Italians work and all of the Germans come for some sun. I think you need to do a little more homework for yourself.

8. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very good information, thank you. I totally agree. I'm in fact finding mode. When would you suggest going?
    -wife wise she doesn't have any credit do it'll be hard to get rewards cards.
    -miles wise yes united will get us there if I can get 120k...I have about 85k now and I intend to use the delta and Marriott for hotels.

I'm thinking of getting that priority club card with 60k miles and use all that for hotel but that'll still leave 40k short flight wise

9. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    You might be pretty late to the game at this point. By the time you'll get your miles you might not have availability to get to Rome. September might be easier than August.

10. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Im sure there are better alternatives that I don't know about...

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can't use DL miles for hotels anymore unless you are a DL elite or have a DL AmEx.

12. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    -I have the delta from American express.

13. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there a way to use 85k with united and pay the rest in cash?

14. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love italy, the background in my picture is Manarola in the Cinque Terre. August is not a good time to go to Italy. It is hot and humid and very crowded. If you can I would suggest going in late September early October or April/May. As for getting there have your wife sign up for a united and UR card and you should be good to go. If you have never been to Italy and want some suggestions on places to see PM me.

Sagegal and traveltoomuch like this.
  15. Sagegal

Sagegal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes skip the August departure, many Italians are on Holiday, some places will be closed or have limited hours because they have left on holiday. Early October is cheaper, quieter, more relaxing and fairly warm. I returned this past Oct from Amalfi and it was 80 for 7 days straight, the swimming was fantastic. The remaining 7 days I divided between Rome, Florence and Venice and the temp was in the low seventies.