Help me get my parents from MAA-LAX

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Quasiconvexity, Jan 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

I have been working on getting my parents over for a visit and would really appreciate some help in figuring out my options. So, here is the ideal trip I have in mind (all segments in J/F):

Outbound: MAA-LAX (end of Feb/early Mar)
    Return: LAX-MAA (with a stopover in BKK) end of June/early July

I was hoping to use my US Air miles to book this as a round-trip and make use of the single stopover that US allows on such itineraries. On the return, I found some space on LAX-ICN-BKK(stop)-MAA in early July in OZ/TG F/J so I am quite satisfied on that front. The outbound is posing a bit of trouble (probably because I am a little late in booking this ticket!) and I would appreciate some thoughts on whether I am overlooking any possible itineraries.

The easiest would be MAA-FRA-LAX on LH but I cannot find any availability for FRA-LAX in either J or F. The other single-stop itinerary would be MAA-BKK-LAX but I couldnt find any availability on BKK-LAX either. The only routing I could find was MAA-BKK-PVG-LAX but the stopover in BKK and PVG is each around 5 hours so I would like to avoid this, if possible. SQ would work great, but I am sure award availability there is non-existent.

Since I have miles on OW as well, the last option I can use is book the trip as two one-ways (and that is what I have done as of now - put all itineraries on hold). I have MAA-LHR-LAX on BA J (using AA miles) on hold for the outbound and have reserved LAX-ICN-BKK using my UA miles (I am 1K so no charges for cancellation) for the return. The downsides here are the huge taxes on BA (I was quoted $740 per person for the one-way trip), plus the need to book BKK-MAA separately.

I am mostly just using this post to think aloud and to ask for your thoughts on whether I have missed anything significant, or if there are any other routings I should look into. While I would prefer to use US DM, I have miles on AA, BA, UA and DL that I can use towards this trip. Thanks for taking the time to read this (rather lengthy) post and for your thoughts!

traveler and SC Flier like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you looked at connections through HKG? NRT?

3. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only connections I could find via NRT had them land in NRT (from BKK) and then connect to LAX from HND. Since they are Indian citizens, I presume this would require them to obtain a Japanese visa. I havent explored options via HKG - will do so, thanks for the suggestion!

traveler and SC Flier like this.
  4. lohiadk

lohiadk Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about LH to either ORD, DEN, IAH, DFW all have availability on 29th FEB the only date I checked and than connect on either a UA/CO flight to LAX