Help me earn points for my bad fortune!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by free67spirit, Feb 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. free67spirit

free67spirit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Milepointers-need some help-unfortunately for me my home needs a new heating and air condition unit-I would like to maximize my points-I have all the usual suspects for credit cards-Would I earn 5x on my chase ink-is this my best bet??? Thanks in advance!

TravelMusing and ariosto like this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I value warranty a lot more than earning 5x more points on a purchase. So, I recommend using an AMEX card (SPG, Plat, Centurion, etc.) that gets you an extra year of warranty, just in case anything happens to your HVAC unit after the manufacturer's warranty ends...

WilliamQ, TravelMusing and Max M like this.
  3. free67spirit

Status Points:
    good advice-I was unaware.

TravelMusing and Jimgotkp like this.
  4. free67spirit

Status Points:
    Any more advice-I will be spending between 6-10000.

5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have time to get a new card with a high initial spend, like the AA executive card?

satman40 and free67spirit like this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will the vendor doing the work accept CCs for the transaction? If so you have a few options, ranging from direct charges to gift cards from an office store with 5x for an Ink card. If not there's always the BlueBird option, though getting $10k in to that program and then back out takes a bit of time.

satman40 and free67spirit like this.
  7. free67spirit

Status Points:
    I tried to get the AA cards but to no avail-need to call the reconsideration line. Should not be a problem but installation is Thursday. Installer will take cc-I think my best bet is the chase ink-then I can use another cc to purchase bb and pay off ink. Round and round we go.

8. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would try to get someone to do it on the side, and pay cash.

If you know the owner pay them in HIGC from OD,

I have a few rentals, so we have trade guys on speed dial.

Some will even trade for trips, Cash and points.,

As for the warranty, that comes from the manufacture, we pay for the units with our CC, and cash for the labor.

Call the supply house, they will sell to you or recommend someone to call, can even be bought on the internet.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  9. free67spirit

Status Points:
    I appreciate the info -I am not quite up to speed on the HIGC and OD. I hired a big company because I went the other route before and had lots of costly problems.

satman40 likes this.
  10. free67spirit

Status Points:
    Thanks all-the work was complete and I went with Chase UR.

satman40 likes this.
  11. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Start a card file on guys to hire in the trades, many if these $80.00 and hour guy swill work on the side for $25.00 after hours,

miles and smiles likes this.
  12. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Risky. Very Risky. Hiring anyone, who will work 'on the side is probably the worse thing you could do. IF he gets hurt, who's insurance is going to pay? He falls off the roof adjusting the chimney flue? If he ends up burning your house down, who's going to pay? And since he is working on the side, It won't be his real employer's insurance, and you can bet his personal insurance won't cover it. That is, if he has any insurance at all. His real employer, will most likely fire him. Lost business, and UN-trustworty. Then the side working, UN-employed 'friend' has no other recourse other than to sue you.
    Worth it? I think not. but YMMV

free67spirit and satman40 like this.
  13. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a landlord with 50 years in the business and over 25 properties, renting to anyone us a risk,

Can you imagine giving someone the keys to a $100k property for a $1,000 deposit, knowing a judge would give him 60 days to move out while paying me nothing...

Or 50 years ago I could have played it safe, and worked a GM making $3.00 an hour, back them...12/25/65 seniority date..

Worth it, ..GM Pant is closed, and ever on of the 25 plus rent checks is just like a Social Security check...setting my fanny....

At 72 I am here to tell you it is worth it, stock and metal investments are doing fine, you have you take risk....

We screen everyone including tenants, to limit our liabilities.

I understand and appreciate how you feel, I consider myself lucky, and my mother prays for me every night...

miles and smiles likes this.
  14. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I would say you have been very. very lucky. Not an issue in 50+ years, makes you a very lucky landlord.
    And your luck seems to be continuing, that at 72 YO your mother "prays for you every night".
    Which, even though a bit off topic, but what is your mother's age?

15. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My mother passed away 10 years ago, I believe she still watches over me...

When business times was tough, I'd always say pray for me, it is a little slow....she would say, I pray for you every night...

With my luck, I believe she still does..

My dad was killed in the early 40s in the war, she had some tough times I am sure.

I took her to places she only dreamed about with miles, and trips I won selling things.

Thank you for asking.

cvsara and miles and smiles like this.
  16. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    It makes a big difference if you already know the people you are hiring, or if people you trust know them. I have had many jobs done by friends. I feel blessed to know carpenters, handymen/women and painters I know and trust. And obviously it's good to know companies you can trust for bigger and more complex repairs.

17. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the 60s four of us guys shared houses that we remodeled, repaired and flipped. We did this for a long time,

After 95 the market slowed down, and
    I became a Landlord...

I bought the homes they lived there for free, we all had other businesses, It was a lot of fun, We had many friend in the trades, now I use many of their kids...the old dads just come over to talk...

18. free67spirit

Status Points:
    Agreed wholeheartedly!