Help Me Decide Where to Stay in BKK for 2 Nights

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by gleff, Apr 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm not looking to spend a lot of cheap out either. I have points with all of the major programs, and have IC RA status, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond.

I've stayed at the IC BKK in a Diplomatic Suite. I won't wind up in that room on this trip. It'll be a two-night weekend stay so I'd use a BOGO cert, which is no longer valid to book suites. So presumably I'd book a club room, get a club suite, paying the BOGO rate.

I've never stayed at the Grand Hyatt Erawan. Could use 2 free suite nights, could use paid nights with confirmed suite upgrade. Won't exactly wind up in the spa cottages.

Conrad Bangkok is an option, would probably pay.

Thinking about the new St Regis but no longer have SPG Plat status, gave it up with greater focus on other programs though I suppose if I really wanted to be a Platinum again I'd assign some meeting spend to myself at work and could do so but others have been taking the meeting spend and I've been ok with it. So just a SPG Gold here these days.

If it were just a one-night stay I'd consider staying down on the river, waking up and having breakfast at the Royal Orchid Sheraton and calling it good, but I'll be ther for ~ 48 hours... land and want to be close to the hotel, spend the next day most of the day out and about, then next day probably close to the property before headng to USM.

Not likely to splurge for paid rate at the Pen. Not a huge fan of the MO, though I could imagine myself heading over to Sala Rim Naan just for the bua loy. :)

Sheraton Grande is a standby of course, it's a great hotel, but without status...?

What do y'all think?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Hansar seems to be a lesser known gem that people are raving about and may be worth a look. A room can be gotten at a sub-$250 rate. The location is pretty good , near the several major shopping centers. The property is modern and fresh. The rooms are large, bright and clean, some with a balcony.
    Outstanding service as reported by a colleague with a friendly helpful staff. .

Mangy, Horse and jbcarioca like this.
  3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gleff- given your criteria- Four Seasons booked through a FSPP/Virtuoso could be a good way to go.

Mangy likes this.
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Maybe it's obvious but how come? Thanks! :)

Mangy likes this.
  5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point gleff.
    Four Seasons with an FSPP includes confirmed upgrade, free breakfast (also room service if you want),free lunch at the Thai restaurant (Spice Jammer??- can't remember the name), welcome cocktail, and a spa credit. The rates are quite good right now- and given the area you suggested (Hyatt, IC) in the same vicinity. The service is excellent, F&B notable, and a great pool and fitness area.

6. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking there isn't enough information about what you're looking for other than not to be on the water.

Are you looking for a low price and "acceptable" room; are you looking for a deal on an upscale room; how upscale; what is the price range where you would find it acceptable (or not) .... You travel nicely, we know that but I think it is really unclear as to what you're going for here.

(btw - you don't list any Accor properties, so does the stay have to earn stay credit as part of the trip is another question to be asked)

7. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just stayed at the Sheraton Grande and the St. Regis -

I know people love it, but I didn't care for Sheraton Grande - seemed to be showing it's age. We did get a large suite, though.

St. Regis was a really nice surprise. My wife thought it was better than the Peninsula and everything is brand new. Really beautiful property, great staff and very good location. Basic rooms aren't huge, though extremely nice.

I haven't stayed at the Four Seasons recently but years ago I did and didn't care for it. Nice public spaces but rooms nothing special.

I'll throw one option in - The Metropolitan. My wife and I both loved it on a previous visit and were smiling when the staff at the Four Season Koh Samui told us that they all stay there instead of the FS when they are in Bangkok. It's modern, and my wife loves the spa there (made a return trip this time) and the food was quite good. Location is OK - I think we prefer the FS/St. Regis - but not bad and right next to the Sukhothai (another option).

Mangy likes this.
  8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Hansar Bangkok is new, nice, and located at the same area as the St. Regis. However, it is at a side soi with views of the RBSC secondary to those at the St. Regis. Deals for the Hansar can be found here: http://www.luxurylink.com/fivestar/hotels/bangkok-thailand/hansar-bangkok
    [​IMG]
    From the Hansar: Note the Royal Bangkok Sports Club, the Four Seasons, the St. Regis, and the Ratchdamri BTS station right in front of the St. Regis. For more photos of the Hansar, see: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/sets/72157625617952376/with/5268536340/

You didn't mention your timeline ... I'd get my SPG Platinum status back and and stay at the St. Regis.

savydog and Mangy like this.
  9. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    That's fair.

I'm thinking nice and a great deal for what it is, hence listing where status comes into play. Less concerned about price since few options are going to be all that expensive, though not looking to pay for a suite at the Pen or the MO.

I didn't mention any Accor properties though come to think of it I do have one of those free comped Accor Platinum statuses, my general impression is that Platinum won't get me all that much.

I hadn't really settled on location, if I'm near a BTS station I'm good and not too worried about it I suppose and was thinking in terms of the hotel more than where it is in the city but that's probably myopic on my part. Though roughly speaking I know the IC and Grand Hyatt and Four Seasons neighborhood and am fine with that, for instance.

10. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really like The Met (in a Met room). I think with a deal you can get a room there for less than $150/night including breakfast..

savydog, ChicagoEric and gleff like this.