Help Me Confirm Upgrades to Paris

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by gleff, Mar 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    No, I'm not looking for your eVIPs. I have those.

Looking for any sense of which Paris flights will be the easiest to clear - JFK, ORD, DFW? If I had to place bets, I'd always guess in the generic that yields are lowest ex-ORD. But I'd love anyone with a sense of where this EXP will have the best shot when confirmable seats aren't available.

Also wondering whether a Saturday flight back (filled with folks who needed to work through Friday PM? Though this is Paris... :p ) or a Sunday flight back (filled with folks needing to be in place for work on Monday) will be easier.

Seems like there's plenty of confirmable space I can grab in and out of LHR, not so much CDG, really not wanting the flight in back... (which may alone may argue in favor of JFK flights since they're shorter as a hedge against failing to clear).

Advice on upgrades appreciated!!

2. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dates would help .... I have never failed to score a SWU on the direct MIA-CDG. For instance a quick look shows upgrades confirmable (C7) this Sunday and (C5) this Monday on AA62.
    Availability is also there in the opposite direction on the CDG-MIA direct AA63- which shows confirmable availability (C3) this Sunday and (C2) on Monday.

3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm looking for something like a Wednesday or Thursday to Saturday or Sunday-ish in May with msgleff. So just a quick couple of nights. We're in DC but with eVIPs to burn I'd route however worked plus with the OWMD bonus and EXP bonus I'd earn 4x miles... I do see a couple of confirmable seats CDG-JFK on Saturday 5/19.

4. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget routes via LHR or MAD, with the overwater on AA and the intra-Europe on BA or IB.

5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    When we booked for his past March we booked 9 months prior to that. At that time, only ORG-CDG was immediately confirmable. ex-DFW wasn't available, and ex-JFK only had 1 when we needed two.

6. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    ExpertFlyer can help in these situations. Not only can it help find flights where there might be immediately confirmable upgrade space (prior to booking) but where there isn't, it can help you play the odds by showing flight loads for desired flights and surrounding days (of course a flight that seems full can get a sudden group cancellation or a flight with empty seats can end up oversold due to an earlier flight going mechanical).

If you can confirm an upgrade via LHR, grab it and connect to CDG.

If you can do a trip as a connection with a confirmed upgrade on the long over-the-water leg, take it and sit in the lower cabin on the short hop. Especially xxx-LHR-CDG which is a short flight with the same seat. Then, try for a longer xxx-LHR flight so you can enjoy it and/or sleep (assuming you can).