Help me choose return flight MUC-ORD

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by mileagejunqe, Jul 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. mileagejunqe

mileagejunqe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am currently booked business class award MUC-ORD LH434, which is a 340-600 departing 15:35. There is also availability on UA 907, which is a 777-200, departing at 12:35, either in business class or first class for an extra 17,500 miles. At those flight times, I'm probably not all that interested in sleeping. I have plenty of miles; that's not an issue. Firstly, which business class is a better product?
    Secondly, is it worth essentially $300+ to go first rather than business where it's unlikely I'll be doing all that much sleeping? Thanks for any assistance.

2. mileagejunqe

Status Points:
    Apologies for the triple posting. My computer showed the posting was timed out and not posted so I reposted - and reposted again when the same thing happened a second time. Please delete the other 2 postings.

3. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    can i give three different answers for all three threads, then? :)

4. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Uh, I don't think UA has 340's is it a 777? I would prefer LH first (can u get that?), otherwise I'm not a fan of UA (despite flying over 2mm) but if the 777 are the updated ones they will have lie flat seats. I think the business in Lh is angled lie flatish . I find the food on UA inedible usually and if you care about wine or prefer champagne served chilled instead of warm you'd probably prefer LH.

5. mileagejunqe

Status Points:
    LH first class is not available. I've heard they don't open up their first class award seats until the very last minute.

6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Go with LH.

7. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    What I like about Lufthansa: (havent been in LH biz since last fall, only F, but have commuted for years with the current style seat)

Good, consistent service
    Clean cabin
    Many flights have Internet

What I don't like
    Angled seat
    Old/poor selection IFE
    They often run out of food choices (if you're not elite with them, you will get the last choice)
    Hard to use your own headset

What I like about United (I assume youre on an exUA 777)

The best seat, new IFE with much bigger screen
    Good amenity kit
    iPod interface, better chargers etc.

What I dont like

On the triple, the seating is 2-4-2. It's brutal sitting in that 4 Seater. Make sure you don't end up there
    Spotty service, to get your food choice, you need to be in the front

Both airlines have cheesy wines and mediocre catering in biz

On a day flight, I would choose United, but only if I was seated in the 2 seater.

8. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Oh, and I would check if LH F is available closer to departure and switch to that if it becomes available