Help! Lufthansa called my booking for my return flight and refuses to reverse it

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by CCS, May 19, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. CCS

CCS Member

Status Points:
    Need help! Any advice on how best to follow up with this would be appreciated.

I was booked on a round trip flight Edinburgh-Singapore via Frankfurt on Lufthansa. I logged into the website to check the fare conditions as I might want a date change. Finding out that my flights were not refundable or changeable or cancellable, I did not pursue it and left it. I then found out my flights were cancelled without any critical confirmation but no refund or anything is given. It is so crazy when I think I do not have a return flight back now that I do not even know where to begin.

1) Received email that my booking on my return flights were cancelled with no critical instructions for me (confirmation from me?) to my horror at midnight.
    2) Emailed LH immediately that it must be a mistake as I need the return flight, and to reinstate my flight as it was.
    3) No reply: Called the service hotline only to have rude CS officers who insisted my return flights home this morning that were non-refundable, non changeable ( why would i cancel a return ticket that offer no refunds? At most it is a no show? ) must have been cancelled by me.
    4) No que to help: There were no apologies except to point the finger and say this is not their problem anymore. Upon firm attempts and asking to speak to someone who can help was I offered some "help" - the call centre supervisor booking me on the same flight at a higher price but I need to pay for it as a new booking. I bought this ticket in February and, it is almost sure that the same ticket class would not be available now. And probably not on a one way ticket.
    5) Ridiculous: I had to laugh at how incredulous this was, only to be told that they will end the call unless i pay for the new ticket.
    6) No result: Such a small issue blown out of proportion-reversing the error on the cancellation on the computer with an manual overwrite would have closed the case. There is no avenue available to escalate this to someone who has authority to do so.

There is no physical customer service available and the only way to contact is the hotline that wasn't useful and emails that are not replied.

My prior experience(i have only been flying Singapore airlines) was that cancellations cannot even be activated on these special promotion flights, and ample warning has to be given to let the customer know before the flight booking is cancelled.

What should I do? Do I accept their fare(does this mean it is a form of consideration and i cannot request for anything else?), or ignore it and buy another flight while addressing this? Do i start filing under EU air passenger rights?

Thanks!!!

B1BomberVB likes this.
  2. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Something sounds strange in your story, as if there is some critical missing information. Did you no show for a flight elsewhere on your itinerary? Did you tell them you wouldn't be traveling? They don't randomly cancel reservations.

If there are open seats on the LH flight, and you have a printout of your ticket and confirmation, I would go to the airport with extra time and deal with it in person, asking for a supervisor or manager if necessary, showing your ticket and repeating as often as necessary that you did not cancel it and LH must reinstate it, or you will file a claim with the EU.

3. CCS

CCS Member

Status Points:
    Nope, I flew here on the two flights scheduled and planned to fly back on the same two flights scheduled.

I am puzzled why it is cancelled and LH keeps insisting I have cancelled the flight.

Thanks for the suggestion of going to the airport desk. I was thinking if this is the only way to speak to anyone and if it's a good idea. Will it be best to look for a similar departure to mine so I can get the relevant ground staff, or just turn up ASAP?

4. CCS

CCS Member

Status Points:
    I have no experience with EU claims but it is unclear on flight bookings that are cancelled vs flights cancelled by the airline. It says if my flight was cancelled more than 14 days in advance( scheduled for 15/6) I cannot claim for anything, but I am not sure if I have got it right.

Thanks for the support, appreciate it when I'm running out of possible solutions.

5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would think 3-4 hours before departure time that relevant LH staff will be there. You may need to make sure to speak with an LH employee as opposed to contracted ground handling staff.

6. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't realize that it was so far in advance, I thought it was for today. So you should really be able to solve the problem by telephone by asking to speak to a supervisor. However, perhaps you may have better luck in person at the airport. You should be able to call to find out what hours LH's ticketing office is open.

7. CCS

CCS Member

Status Points:
    I have asked for the supervisor but he is the call centre supervisor and that's as far as it escalates to. It is annoying as I pretty much am at the mercy who I get access to on the phone.

I did also call to check if there was someone I can speak to f2f, with LH rudely saying there will be no one to speak to me in Singapore. I did attempt the office in Singapore today (not at the airport) but it is just a back office and does not have anyone for CS, though the lawyer there did feel my pain, and tried to access the system, but to no avail.

I think I will need to go down to the airport as it is probably the only customer service person available f2f here. Hopefully they have the authority to do something as it seems that's all they harp about, that they cannot do anything about it.

Mrlasssen and B1BomberVB like this.
  8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It does look like you've got yourself into a sticky situation here and the best way to resolve this is to go to either City or Airport Ticket Office.

9. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you inquire about when then ticket was cancelled and by what method (e.g. online, phone)? Perhaps someone called in to LH to cancel their flight, but the agent accidentally pulled up your record and cancelled your flight.

Mrlasssen likes this.
  10. CCS

CCS Member

Status Points:
    I was told it was cancelled online. If it was a phone call, it would be more straightforward because I have no calls to LH and they can see that from their files.

11. CCS

CCS Member

Status Points:
    I tried the city office at Palais Renaissance today but it is only back office. The lawyer there was v kind, offered to help though its not within her jurisdiction really, but could not overwrite the system.

I worry how much the airport office can help as most of it is outsourced to the ground services staff here, but I will look into that more.

One thing they kept mentioning was that the flight class i was originally on is no longer available(as expected, this was booked as a promotion in february) and they cannot reinstate the flight even though i was booked on it and even had seats allocated, they can only allocate a higher tier, how true is this?

Saying that, I clearly pointed that that was not my problem to deal with as I did not cancel the flight and they can write a waiver and even limit me to my original flight fare restrictions so that we are back at square one. I go on the flight I have paid and booked for and LH gets the seat that was sold filled.

So frustrated and puzzled.

Mrlasssen likes this.
  12. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you were on the Lufthansa site checking into the canceleability or changeability of your flight I'm probably not alone in wondering whether you did, in fact, cancel the flight knowingly or unknowingly. If so your best bet is to ask for mercy, not satisfaction.

gregm, WilliamQ and Flyer1976 like this.
  13. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1. If you are not absolutely sure that you had not in fact unknowingly cancelled your ticket, an appeal for help as opposed to fix this now might be a better bet. Most finance related systems do track IP addresses for audit trails and it is possible to track back if a company is determined enough although it is rarely worth their trouble. It is also better for them to be seen merciful and helpful but only if you convinced them so. Are you a member of their FFP?

gregm likes this.
  14. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have no luck otherwise, buy a new ticket at today's price, then file a dispute with your credit-card bank the day after you arrive home.

15. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which transaction? The original or replacement?

WilliamQ likes this.
  16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't think a dispute of the replacement flight transaction would go anywhere. Product delivered as promised, case closed.

The case could be made, perhaps, that LH didn't deliver the first purchase as paid for. But LH will. Of course say that the OP canceled, so then good luck convincing the card company that this isn't true.

The replacement ticket (one-way?) is also likely going to be more expensive than the original flight.

CCS, WilliamQ and gregm like this.
  17. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's exactly why I asked. Seeking revenge by disputing the replacement is wrong.

HaveMilesWillTravel and WilliamQ like this.
  18. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you try contacting LH via twitter? Their SM team seems to be involved in many chats and responsive.

WilliamQ likes this.
  19. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like it is time to email Christopher Elliott :)

20. CCS

CCS Member

Status Points:
    Which is what I did from the beginning, saying I didn't do it but whatever it is, please reverse it. The reality I don't have any facts of the cancellation with me, other than an automated email sent informing me of the cancellation. They were extremely hostile on the phone(i first called the Singapore office which was routed to Melbourne), which I was shocked because it is not clear what it was, so in asking for an explanation, I don't think I was being unfair.

21. CCS

CCS Member

Status Points:

Yep, one way, and with the price of the return ticket they offered, i might as well buy another two way ticket. I thought of just accepting the offer and disputing the claim with the credit card company, but it is hard to argue that they did not deliver the product that way. It doesn't feel right as well.

22. CCS

CCS Member

Status Points:
    I guess so, I will speak again to Lufthansa Germany today and see if theres something to be done. I have actually emailed him, lets see.

23. CCS

CCS Member

Status Points:
    I did yesterday, no response though my post on Facebook was read. They said they have contacted their CS people to reply to my email but have not got anything in writing.

24. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Disputing the original charge may be appropriate. You'll need some steadfast proof. Disputing the replacement ticket charge, as another MPer may have eluded to is wrong, IMO.

WilliamQ and Flyer1976 like this.
  25. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm with you... You can't dispute the replacement ticket only the original ticket since LH is now not honoring the purchase in full. However I think the OP might be in the wrong here and messed up his return ticket.

WilliamQ and gregm like this.