Help: JFK to HKG on CX using AA and Avios

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Zolomark, Sep 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Zolomark

Zolomark Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello MP,

Was wondering if some creative minds could help me book an award flight. Its pretty straight forward. I'm planning a trip to my home country for Christmas and New Years. I do have a specific timeline in mind since I'm restricted by work (December 24 to January 5 or 6, 2013). I'd like to fly business class since its a long flight. And I have the following accounts:

AA: 110K
    Avios: 52k
    (also Delta: 55k, US Airways: 40k)

I checked BA.com for availability, but it says there are none (as usual).

This is my first time booking an award flight on an airline/alliance other than Delta, so I'm not sure how it works. I know that according to the one world award chart, it's 110K miles for RT business class ticket between these destinations. Thing is I'm not sure how I actually go about booking it.

Do I go on cathay.com? or aa.com? or ba.com? Do I call any of them?

Thanks for the help!

2. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my experience, the best way to go about doing this would be to just pick up the phone and call AA to check for availability on the flights and dates you want. It seems that you want to go during a pretty peak season, so availability could be very slim.

Try creative routing other than just the JFK-YVR-HKG flight. See if you could maybe do a segment on AA to LAX/SFO and then connect up to CX for the transpac portion. Ideally the longer time in the CX J product would be nice, but I'm not sure what would be out there for you.

Good luck. And keep calling and checking everyday (if you want an alert set up try Wandering Aramean's Travel Tools http://www.wandr.me/).

hulagrrl210 and Zolomark like this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Using the Qantas tool (supposedly the best for OW)
    NYC -> HKG = Only dates avialable are 12/31 & 1/8 in Eco
    HKG -> NYC = 1/8 in Eco, 1/12 - 1/18 in Bus & then 1/19 & 1/20 in Eco.

Will any of those work?

hulagrrl210 and LAXtraveler like this.
  4. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I forgot to suggest QF as a tool as well. A wonderful resource. Just get yourself a login and you'll be good to go.

edekba likes this.
  5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    LAX - HKG dates are also very slim unfortunately. FYI

LAXtraveler likes this.
  6. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tell me about it - I was trying to book something and LAX was consistently not available :(

edekba likes this.
  7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    me too; Thus i'm using UA miles through NYC/EU to get to asia hahah. Lots of hours on an airplane in coach

viguera and LAXtraveler like this.
  8. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm doing an LAX-EU-Asia routing next year as well - thankfully I was able to secure J/F on the flights I wanted with my UA miles.

edekba likes this.
  9. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    or if you don't mind spending 140k,visit tokyo :NYC-TYO 100 k round trip(AA) and 40k TYO-HKG (CX) all biz

LAXtraveler likes this.
  10. Zolomark

Zolomark Active Member

Status Points:
    Wow thanks for all the quick replies everyone. Sad that it is such a peak time that I may not be able to get anything. Unfortunate my dates are not very flexible at all.

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    TYO-HKG r/t in J with AA miles is 60K, not 40K. ;)

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Do you absolutely need to use CX? Or are you open to flying on AA and JL as well to get to HKG?

13. Zolomark

Zolomark Active Member

Status Points:
    I don't absolutely need to fly CX. I just really would like to because I know its a great airline and its business class product is superb from what I've read. My friend told me that AA international business or first class products are inferior. I dont know about JL. Anyone have any input on alternative airlines that are part of One world?

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    And the source of the alerts from my tools. :cool:

15. Zolomark

Zolomark Active Member

Status Points:
    Is this the Qantas website? or it is a separate program?

16. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Qantas website.

Seth uses it as his source for OW alerts.

Because your time frame is so tight & not flexible, i would suggest not worrying about what B class product is good vs slightly worse. The vacation is at the destination, not getting to/from. If you had the flexibility then I think worrying about which seat to lie flat in would be relevant... but for me getting to where I want to go when I can go; comes first

MX likes this.
  17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    CX does indeed have a fantastic product in both business and first class. The good thing about booking CX with AA miles is that generally speaking it's very easy to get seats. That is, unless, you wait till the last minute or are booking during high traffic travel dates like the Christmas/New Years holiday.

As edekba mentions, now the questions becomes how do you get to your destination in the most comfortable product? AA and JL both offer angled lie flat seats across the Pacific into Japan before connecting onward to Hong Kong either on CX or JL. The FAs on JL are, generally speaking, going to be more professional and attentive than what AA offers, though there are some who enjoy the more casual and open service provided by AA's FAs.

CX doesn't seem to have much available, and when I did a quick look at availability on AA and JL, sadly, it looks about the same. I didn't see any seats in Business or Economy on your dates from JFK to HKG. Another key to getting use out of your AA miles is to be flexible with dates, and sadly this seems like one time when you don't have much of that at all.

Do you have elite status with AA at all? It might be worth a try calling AA and seeing if they can piece something together for you.

18. Zolomark

Zolomark Active Member

Status Points:
    Dang you are awesome for even looking into the dates for me. Yeah unfortunately for me I have requested specific days off from work and those are it. I could later, after the 24th, and come back earlier, like the 3rd or 4th, but shortening the trip almost makes it not worth going to me because when I go back I like to go for weeks at a time. I'm extremely lucky if I can get a max 2 weeks there.

Unfortunately I also do not have elite status with AA (or any airline for that matter). I think I will give them a call as you suggested and see what they can do. Really appreciate the search and feedback though. kudos to you.

As an aside, I tried making an account on QF site, but for some reason it says I'm missing a field in the form...but it wont tell me what. Ive checked twice and filled everything out, still cant submit. Annoying glitch.

19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't know much about the QF site, I use WanderingAramean's tool (which he said above uses QF's site) and AwardNexus for my award flight searching. Another option that popped into my head....

If you can get 25K more AA miles (credit card bonus or buying the miles), you can actually do a First class award with AA miles instead of business class. I looked on AA.com and saw there is First class space available on 12/24 and 1/08 (not ideal, I know but it's close!) to PVG (Shanghai). It's not ideal, but you can then buy a cheap economy ticket to HKG, take a train, or use your smaller DL or BA miles to see about getting another award ticket. It really just depends on how badly you want to take this trip and how much you'd spend to do it.

See below:

;aaaa.jpg

;lajsdf;lak.JPG

edekba and NYBanker like this.
  20. gamecock

gamecock Silver Member

Status Points:
    Urban legend has it that CX opens award seats closer to the actual departure date.

21. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Smart thinking, David.

edekba likes this.
  22. harry123

harry123 Active Member

Status Points:

In order to book on a partner airline using AA, you will need to call them. As has been mentioned, use Qantas to search for availability, and then call AA to book them.

23. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was saying 40 k r/t with avios...

24. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The last time I booked CX awards I used their own Asiamiles website to check for availibilty since it shows awards 359 days out and depite reports to the contrary I find it corresponds to what AA
    sees.

As stated above checking in Sept for the busy Xmas/NY period is really too late and to get to HKG is going to require some flexibility (which I am not sure the OP is prepared to exercise)

Hands down the best award availabilty to HKG from the east coast will be from YYZ but there are certainly other options from LAX, SFO and YVR.

25. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget to try SFO-HKG as that's also a CX gateway.