Help inserting Formatted Text into JPG image

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Gaucho, Apr 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK... so I have a jpg format image that I need to edit by inserting formatted text into the picture, but I want to be able to do this on top of the original image background... ie. I dont want the inserted text to be inside some box. Im no design expert and dont have PhotoShop... cant seem to do this with the normal Paint program. Is there some trial version of some program I can use to do this...? The text Im trying to edit into the scanned image is very short, just a name.... Im trying to assist with a school related project and would appreciate any help from the resident tech gurus.....

Thanks !!!
    Alex

perryplatypus likes this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gimp is an open source photoshop replacement. I don't know what the windows version is like. It's a unix type app so it might look odd, but it is powerful. On the Mac side someone made a nice mac like interface version.
    http://www.gimp.org/windows/

Gaucho and perryplatypus like this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you use Picasa you can easily just click on the text tool and add text to any image on any album.

If you don't you can use pixlr (http://pixlr.com/) either online or even on your phone and overlay text on any image you have.

Gaucho likes this.
  4. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Guys... I will give the above a try and report back.... greatly appreciated.

5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try http://gimpshop.com/ thats is the mac version that looks better and now it is Windows also...

6. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    A school project, huh? Are you trying to get an AA elite match, by chance? :)

Gaucho and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry... Im not getting what you mean.... how do you get AA to match elite status with anything related to this...???

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Download a 1K card image from the web, gimpshop your own name in, send it to AA for "status" match.

(not that I am advocating that or doing it myself... I'd have a real 1K status if I thought I'd benefit from the match).

Gaucho likes this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well if you're gonna go that far, they're apparently matching GS to CK, so that would seem like a more worthwhile use of photoshop. :)

Gaucho likes this.
  10. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does American fall for this kind of nonsense...???? And, more importantly, are folks dumb enough to do this and post about it on TOBB..??? :eek:

11. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is CK...???

12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whether American "falls" for it or not depends on how good you are at Photoshop I suppose... but it highlights the problems with status matches. AA is not going to call anybody at UA and confirm your status, so obviously if the paperwork looks legit they will probably just welcome you with open arms.

It's on the MP dictionary... Concierge Key. Highlight the word and you'll see. :)

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point... I am tempted to submit an obvious fake GS card (with a brandnew AA account to protect my own) just to see what they'd do :) But fortunately I have too much other stuff to do right now.

viguera likes this.
  14. palmeiras1000

palmeiras1000 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Btw the status match its not available any more