Help!! I will be loosing my Gold Status with AA next month...HELP HELP

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by ASMASM, Jan 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. ASMASM

ASMASM Member

Status Points:
    :(:(:(

I've had Platinum status with AA for almost 5 yrs but since I took a new job last year I didn't travel that often and I was downgraded to Gold status. In February I will be loosing my Gold status :mad::mad::mad::mad:. Traveling without status is no fun - have to wait in long security lines, don't get to board first, can't use my 1st class upgrades and can't choose my seats.

My question is do you happen to know of a way I can get Gold status again quickly with American Airlines???

2. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:

Welcome to MilePoint.

You should be receiving an email from AA in the near future offering you the opportunity to "boost" your status. Depending upon the number of EQMs, EQPs or segments you had in 2013 AA will ask for a sliding scale of cash for you to keep Gold through February, 2015.

Here is the link to the announcement. http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/eliterenewal.jsp?anchorLocation=DirectURL&title=elite

dstober, MSYgirl and Mirror74 like this.
  3. ASMASM

ASMASM Member

Status Points:
    Thank you so much for your prompt reply!! I will look into this. Do you know if I purchase my airline tickets wiht my AA citi credit card I could have status?

tondoleo likes this.
  4. ASMASM

ASMASM Member

Status Points:
    Oh one other question, is there a way I can sell my first class upgrades, I have a bunch of them!

5. ASMASM

ASMASM Member

Status Points:
    I looked this up and wow it is expensive to boost my status :(

6. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Using the Citi credit card does not confer Elite Status. If you had the Citi AA Executive card and spent $ 40,000 in a calendar year you would earn 10,000 EQM's that would go towards your elite status.

Based upon the info you have provided your easiest path to getting status without earning it by flying and spending enough to earn Gold before March 1, 2014 is to pay the boost fee.

7. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    To offer some perspective, the renewal is listed as $649. Considering my London trips cost between $800-1,000 and only earn 10,398 EQMs roundtrip (and Gold requires 25k EQMs), I'd call the renewal option a bargain.

jmjgp12 likes this.
  8. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Usually, CC's will not get one PQM's - only miles. Now, there was a UA Chase CC, with PQM's, but it was rolled over into another Chase UA CC. Broke my heart, as we use that CC all the time. I hear that some managed to keep theirs, but I do not know that for a fact.

Good luck, and I agree, loosing status IS a big deal.

9. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some years ago, UA offered me a "status purchase" when I missed 1K, and their offer was no where nearly so good as that one. That one, I would have jumped on.

MSYgirl likes this.
  10. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    not status but the "entry level" Citi AA cards get you a free checked bag and priority boarding

11. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you aren't traveling to begin with, why the need for status?

KENNECTED and Newscience like this.