Help getting best fare/FD from US to Aruba next May

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by wkupike2000, Dec 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. wkupike2000

wkupike2000 Active Member

Status Points:
    :confused: I consider myself savvy and intelligent since I"m a professional headhunter/recruiter for high level IT professionals but I'm struggling to understand the tricks here after hours of reading. I would appreciate any help and will glad pay it forward many times over.
    My wife and I are going to Aruba for our first wedding anniversary from May 12-19 and want to save on airfare. I'd love to find a FD or use whatever other method the experts can assist me with in drastically reducing our flights. We fly out of Louisville but could do Lex or Indy if the discount was worth it.

2. stevenryals

stevenryals Active Member

Status Points:
    i know it's extensive, but you have you read the FAQ & The Trick it thread?

3. wkupike2000

wkupike2000 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks but yes, numerous times. I am a techy, well educated, and a pretty extensive traveler with experience in deal sites/forums and yet I'm still at this point. I've read the Trick it thread and links within it to other "helpful" threads many times over in the past few weeks to no avail. I get some of the hidden stuff but some of the basics such as 1X and 3X still have me baffled.

I know everyone is trying to make this user friendly without being too revealing, but I don't get how it should be this difficult to at least get started. I honestly am at the point where I'm ready to give up. Any advice, links to other posts on here, etc would be greatly appreciated. I would love to learn a little to get me started and to point where I can contribute and help others.

4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    $524 RT from SDF, <$500 from IND,

Perhaps manage your expectations, how much are you expecting to save with a FD or other trick it means?

5. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh dear. You really think that "hours" is a sufficient investment to master FD and other tricks at the level of the masters?

Let me put this clearly. The kind of tricks that the Jedi like WWE and giggy are using are the result of years of experience, constant iteration, an expert knowledge of the structure of the airline networks, of ticketing and IT architectures, enriched by constant iterative refinement and testing. The system is extremely complex and volatile and what worked last year might not work now, but other tricks do. The number of hours these guys have spent and continue to spend on this is in the high hundreds or even thousands.

No manuals are published on any of this. No seminars for newbs, beyond basic ones run by a few FT gurus.

Despite your career track, you aren't that much smarter than everyone else. Your knowledge base does not give you a bye or carry over into this field. It's a Catch 22... of course, you could prove you were as smart as those guys above by finding a monster FD oppo even they didn't know about...but if so, then you wouldn't need their help and you wouldn't be posting here :)

As stated above, I think managing your expectations would reduce your stress levels about this endeavor.

You won't get blow-by-blow descriptions of how to from anyone here, nor on FT or other networks. If you research those boards you will find the reasons why.

So, relax, do this incrementally. If that's too challenging or has a low benefit/cost for you, I suggest you don't waste your time on it. And if you really want to learn more, then be practical. Save the entire FD thread to your desktop and next time you fly YVR-HKG, spend a chunk of the journey learning how to find the way of the Jedi.

crazE8 likes this.
  6. BryanIAH
    Original Member

BryanIAH Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is pretty difficult to FD a fare without a fuel surcharge.

7. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    You'd have better luck using USA-Aruba as a 3X for a TATL or a TPAC.

The Caribbean is usually a good choice for miles redemptions. The fares are all out of proportion to the distance flown.

Sagy, gomike and DCA1K like this.