Help from a Newbie... LAX-SAO, RIO-AUS

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Mark Allen Jackson, Mar 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Mark Allen Jackson
    Original Member

Mark Allen Jackson Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey there!

I'm looking for the best way to maximize miles on this route. I'm traveling June 19th and returning June 29th. I'm a student so I'm looking for a good price, but maybe have a stopover somewhere to see another country along the way! Any help would be appreciated! I love this forum so far!

m4rk4jcks0n likes this.
  2. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am having trouble figuring out what SAO and RIO are. Do you mean Sao Paulo (GRU) and Rio de Janeiro (GIG)?
    If that's what you mean, you can try Copa (CM) and maybe stop over in PTY?
    Other than that there isn't much you can to. From LAX to GRU you can route via IAH (worst), ORD and IAD (better), or EWR (best) in terms of most miles. If you aren't going to Brazil, then forget everything I said.

Mark Allen Jackson likes this.
  3. Mark Allen Jackson
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes I'm going to Brazil, those codes are for all airports within the airports in terms of searching. Thanks for your input!

m4rk4jcks0n likes this.
  4. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    To dig a little deeper, are you in it for just the max amount of miles? Is the cost per mile a factor? Do you have a program you are in now? Are you looking to upgrade, if so how and with who?

Need more information to better answer question. But happy to help either way.

5. Mark Allen Jackson
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hey there! In all actuality, I'm looking for the best price/stopover combo. I'm interested in seeing another country en-route with a longish stopover! Let me know if you can help!

Mark

m4rk4jcks0n likes this.
  6. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you loyal to *A or will any airline do? You can connect in various places in South America, like MEX, BOG, etc, but you won't earn any MP or OP miles.

7. Mark Allen Jackson
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Any airline will do... and I'm looking for a better search engine than the standards like Kayak or expedia... any suggestions?

m4rk4jcks0n likes this.
  8. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    From those cities you have several options
    AC through YYZ
    CM though PTY
    AM through MEX
    LAN though LIM (don't know their 2 letter code)

Stopovers tend to be quite expensive, outside of a certain time frame say about 8hrs or so the fare will re-price, For example say you were on CM (Copa) LAX-PTY-GRU, GIG-PTY-AUS

You have one problem all ready most international fares are tied to the city, so it is quite possible you are looking at two international one ways, which can be quite expensive. I would suggest going to orbitz and using multi-city to try and price out those trips before you thing about stop-overs.

Now lets you wanted to do a stop-over. You have the same problem you end up pricing LAX-PTY separate from PTY-GRU. Which is also quite expensive. You best bet IMHO is to purchase two round trip tickets say LAX-PTY//PTY-GRU whatever. Baring any fare sales your ticket will probably be more expensive say 1.5 times then the straight LAX-PTY-GRU round-trip but less then pricing out the one ways. I think.

9. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    People think we have secret search engines, we don't. Kayak is very good. I like orbitz just because I like their backbone software. But at the end of the day they will all spit out the same fare.

10. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    For example LAX-GRU cheapest one way on July 17th is 608.00 base fare on AV (Avianca)
    A round trip returning one week later is 842.00 base.

11. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    I forgot to include AV going through BOG (have fun getting through customs as a young male retuning from BOG)
    and LR (TASCA) going through some vague central american countries.

12. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    For an itinerary that includes intra Brazil flights, I like to actually use a tkt consolidator.
    BACC travel are experts on Brazil, and sometimes they have fares I can't get on Orbitz or Kayak.
    http://www.bacctravel.com/
    CALL-do not use their online search engine. A phone agent will be able to help you much better.

13. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    HIJACK ALERT.

if i wanted to go EZE-GRU, would they be a good place to go?

14. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. PM me if you want some help. There a few ways to get to EZE from GRU(or vice versa).

15. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try searching out of AEP to CGH. New JJ route. I think they may also start service from AEP to GIG or SDU. AEP is the downtown airport in BsAs.