Help for Newbie to book HI flight

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by deosola, Dec 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. deosola

deosola Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been flying for years on business and been accumulating points. I currently have about 99,000 miles. My friends and family invited us to join them in HI (Kauai, specifically).

I looked into using my miles but it would cost either 55,000 or 65,000 miles.

Is signing up for the Alaska Airlines credit card the best way for me to cheaply be able to fly my family of 4 to Hawaii? With that, I could get 25,000 miles and a $99 companion ticket.

Thank you for your help of a newbie to all this miles stuff.

misman likes this.
  2. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP, deosola.

There is a thread here specifically addressing the ease of use and benefits of the $99 companion ticket. It seems as if, with the AS card bonus miles plus the $99 companion ticket, you may be able to get two awards seats, and a Buy-1-Get-1-for-$99 which would be quite a deal. I'll let the AS experts chime in, but it sounds like a good deal to me!

3. deosola

deosola Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did read that thread that you link to, but some of the abbreviations were a bit confusing to someone new like me.

I think I figured out that "F" seat means "first class" but what I can't figure out is why that is a better deal (ie, cheaper) than a coach flight.

And why do "F" class seats accumulate more miles?

Thanks
    ps. I would be flying from LAX to LIH. Tic cost is around $900 for coach.

misman likes this.
  4. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're right that F means first class in that thread. It's a better deal because you get a better value or your companion ticket. The companion ticket will be 99$ no matter what class you book so booking he most expensive flight for 99$ is a really good deal. Of course you could argue that you would spend less by using the companion ticket in coach or business to Hawaii. It's up to you to decide whether flying in F to Hawaii is worth spending the couple hundred $$ you'd save by flying in coach or business.

As a general rule of thumb, higher fare classes accrue more miles than the "saver" classes. Many airlines give 150% flown miles for higher fare classes.

As a side note, if the abbreviations are getting confusing, the forums have a great glossary lookup feature. Just select the abbreviation (eg LAX) with your cursor and many times a definition will pop up in the top right.

misman likes this.
  5. deosola

deosola Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will I get the $99 companion ticket upon approval or only one year after I get the card?

misman likes this.
  6. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've read that it comes soon after you apply but don't take my word for it as I don't have the card yet.

misman likes this.
  7. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The companion fare discount code posts online to your AS account pretty darn quick after the card is first issued.

misman likes this.