Help flying to China!

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by twangs, Nov 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. twangs

twangs Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello,

I'm quite new to this whole adventure and I would love get some advice. I was planning on flying from LAX to PEK this winter break (late December to early January) to visit my grandparents. I know these plans are a bit last minute, but I was hoping to get two business class tickets.

I signed up for the Amex SPG and Chase Sapphire Preferred this August, so now I have about 43k in UR and 34k in Starwoods. I know that this isn't even enough for one ticket, but is it advisable to just purchase tickets and then upgrade? (If so, which airline?) Or should I just buy economy tickets and save my points for later use? My father has about 150k in UA miles that I could possibly use as well.

Thanks!

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm looking at united seem likes there's only Eco available 12/29 and on. Coming back earliest is the 19th...

Even then RT to China is 65k for Eco. While Bus is 120k per person.

I would say you're stuck if you want to use points for Bus as there is no space and you don't even have enough miles. If you're okay with Eco ... then maybe you can use your dad's miles. Else I think buying them is your only option.

and I upgrades are 30k + a co-pay possible depending on what class of ticket you buy...

Look here
    http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps/mileageplus/awards/travel/awardTravel.aspx

twangs and Jimgotkp like this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's tough to upgrade with miles on a paid ticket since most American carriers require a co-pay + miles while foreign carriers require certain fare classes which tend to be the most expensive ones (ex. Y/B).

What I would do in your situation is use your points/miles and your father's:

Your points/miles:
    43K UR Points = 43K United (1:1 ratio)
    Total United miles under your name: 43K

Your father's miles:
    Total United miles under your father's name: 150K

Personally, I wouldn't use the SPG points and transfer it to UA because it's a 2:1 ratio. Yes, you get the 5K bonus after transferring 20K SPG but I still don't recommend it.

United requires 32.5K for a one-way in Economy and 60K for a one-way in Business Class. So, in order to do a round-trip Business Class award you need 120K. However, you don't have enough for two tickets.

What you could do is a one-way in Economy then a one-way in Business Class since it requires 92.5K for each person so 185K in total. Since your father's account needs 2.5K additional miles, I recommend purchasing 3K miles from United's website. Yes, you could transfer UR points to his UA account, but with all the recent talk of Chase closing accounts, I don't think it's worth it.

So when pulling miles from the accounts, do this:

Your account: 1 Economy ticket
    Your father's: 1 Economy ticket and 2 Business Class tickets

Personally, I would fly to China in Economy then come back in Business Class.

twangs and edekba like this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cheaper to buy UR points from chase for 2.5 cents each I think ...

Jimgotkp likes this.
  5. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still transferring it to another person's account who isn't a spouse... so Chase might close her account..

I guess what she could do is do a SPG transfer but that's 5K SPG and enough for a C+P redemption...

edekba likes this.
  6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    oh yeah forgot about that.