Help figuring out 2k mileage run

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Sharkman, Dec 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Sharkman

Sharkman New Member

Status Points:
    Hey all,

New to this thing as I just started really flying this year.

I am exactly 1895 away from Gold status(I meet the 5k card spend). Never been much of a flyer until this job so I do not know the ins and outs but will be flying "a lot" next year so Gold is a lot better than silver.

I could buy $2500 MQMs for $750 but I think I may have another option...

I have just over $1000.00 in travel vouchers and $450 in what shows as a "electronic ticket".

I live in ATL so I have a ton of options for flights for a mileage run on the 29/30th.

Any Ideas from the pros?

2. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did some research for ya and came up short.. That will cost some $ unless you want to try a multi city search maybe.

3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do it sooner next year.

Probably save hundreds driving to a nearby airport.

4. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You could do CLT-MEM on delta for $165 12/30. That might be a little crazy but I'm also cheap so it might be worth it for me if I was looking to save cash.

Attached Files:

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'll get 2,000 MQMs from any four segment trip, so think about driving to some other nearby airport (cheap parking!) and connecting through ATL to some destination with good competition. Look at BWI, BNA, STL, RDU on the weekend, MDW, maybe other carrier hubs such as STL, CLT, PHL, PIT, etc.

However, I'm confused by the OP. You claim that you "meet the 5K card spend" but DL GM requires wither $5000 MQDs (DL fares essentially) or $25,000 spend on DL AmEx cards. Before investing more money, please check the MQD rules carefully.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is the OP that confused me about whether OP has met the MQD requirement or not.

7. Sharkman

Sharkman New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the input guys. In the end I am just going to bite the bullet and do the $750. It will save me in the end as work never pays me for standby fees and I always wind up trying to get home sooner when I am on the road and eat the $50 same day fee.

The way we buy last min tickets and my potential travel this year I should be able to make plat in 15.

p.s. for the MQD I did meet $5k on delta fares not just card spend. I goofed that statement up. Actually I got 28k in pure card spend last year. I try to run all my expenses through the delta Amex.

Thanks all!