Help! Emirates lost my bag...

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by justing, Jun 1, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. justing

justing Active Member

Status Points:
    Just arrived in Dubai about 16 hours ago. Emirates lost my bag. They're hoping to locate and bring it to me in the next 24-48 hours. I was flying Emirates First on an Alaska award ticket... Who's on the hook? Emirates is being a pain and not offering anything to help out.

Any advice? TIA.

uggboy and Gargoyle like this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Emirates is the carrier, they are the one you need to deal with.

By help out what are you looking for? It seems like they are looking for it and will bring it to you once its found - that's fairly standard. We had a similar situation on a first award to Thailand on UA, LH and Thai and the luggage showed up the next day. In your case the delay could be longer if the luggage is still in US and they need to get it on a flight that could be 12-24 hours to departure, plus the 12 hours to fly over.

FYI this page mentions nothing about compensation if that's the help you are looking for.
    http://www.emirates.com/us/english/plan_book/essential_information/baggages/delayed_baggage.aspx

satman40, Gargoyle and uggboy like this.
  3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    What are you expecting?

Did you connect or was the flight nonstop? Are you at your final destination?

satman40 and iolaire like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    What CC did you pay for the taxes on the award with? Does it offer any travel interruption coverage which includes delayed baggage?

EK is definitely the party you have to work with as it is the final delivering carrier.

flyforawg, satman40 and iolaire like this.
  5. justing

justing Active Member

Status Points:
    Early AM update from DXB... Direct flight, still no bag, no communication, no updates. Used a AMEX Biz Gold Reward card for taxes. It does have trip interruption of some sort. Looking into that now.

iolaire likes this.
  6. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good luck!

We had a bag go astray last year en route to VCE. It was delivered to our hotel the next afternoon while we were out shopping for clothes.

iolaire and justing like this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have the claim/file number from EK? Can you look up the details at www.worldtracer.aero/cgi-bin/filerequest.exe?tran and see any details?

iolaire and justing like this.
  8. justing

justing Active Member

Status Points:
    @Wandering Aramean, yes, I actually looked on the site and have been trying to track my bag. The status was updated yesterday to "Bag located, at airport" or something of the sorts. It doesn't give info as to which airport the bag is currently residing, but it's somewhere. I tried calling EK and they still stay they cannot find the bag and have no record of the tracking number. Pretty amazing....it's hard to believe how bad the ground support is on the customer side.

iolaire likes this.
  9. justing

justing Active Member

Status Points:
    Update: Finally received my bag this evening (GST) almost 48 hours after I landed. I'm going to call when I get home to see what type of arrangements we're going to work out. I've got a few hundred $$ worth of clothes that had to be purchased for business meetings all day today. I'll update the thread once I speak with EK.

uggboy and misman like this.
  10. justing

justing Active Member

Status Points:
    By the way, the best luck I had communicating with EK was through their Facebook messenger... People who answered the phone were not helpful at all, but the person sitting behind their FB account was very willing to follow up and communicate.

uggboy likes this.
  11. justing

justing Active Member

Status Points:
    Well....The saga continues. We're now on day 15...The only communication with Emirates that has worked so far (actually getting responses) is on Facebook Messenger. My responses are coming about 2 days after I send messages. When I call, the only response I'm given is that somebody will "call me back" which to date has not happened at all.

As a show of compassion, they have authorized $70.00 USD to account for my 2 days with out clothes, my two missed business meetings (one for plane delay, one for not having proper clothes to show up to a meeting) not to mention the fact that I had to go out and go shopping for my business meetings (shoes, shirts, slacks, belt, etc, etc).

Am I crazy to expect much more? $70 is a slap in the face. Does anybody know of a better way to get this resolved?? Or have a contact within Emirates?

Counsellor likes this.
  12. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my experience, you're not crazy to expect more, but it may be too late now.

When I find myself in the situation you were in (away from home station, traveling for a meeting, no business attire in carry-on) and my bag doesn't arrive, I make it a point when I make the lost/delayed luggage report to put them on notice that I will need business attire if the bag is not delivered by the next morning (or whenever -- leaving enough time before the meeting to buy the clothes). Be polite but firm, and usually you can get an initial authorization (to be used if the bag isn't delivered by the time you need it) for the purchase. Have an idea about how much you'd need for something presentable, not luxurious, and in a big city don't overlook the possibility of renting a suit (possibly buying shirt, tie, sox, etc.). Use your negotiating skills. If the offer is too low (e.g., $70 for two days of business attire), request to speak to a supervisor, and/or follow up directly with the airline.

In the event the bag is not delivered when they promise, and this requires more clothes, contact them at once, and have an idea what additional authorization you'll need.

The time to resolve this most favorably is when the bag is still missing, and the meeting still to be held. Once the bag is delivered, or the meeting is past, they have little incentive to give you more than their standard allowance.

satman40 likes this.
  13. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just wondering, did you report the lost bag at baggage claim, and have you gone back to the airport to followup? Everything you posted so far references internet/phone communication.

satman40 likes this.
  14. justing

justing Active Member

Status Points:
    @Counsellor, thanks for your input, hind sight, I should have bothered them more as the situation was happening, but business duties were at hand.

@iolaire, yes, I absolutely made a claim immediately as I realized my bag was not at the baggage conveyor. I have not gone back to the airport to follow up, they lost my bag in Dubai, my home is in Houston, at least an hour from the airport. As chance would have it, I'm in Amsterdam right now and I'll be flying back to IAH on Friday, I hope to address some of my concerns then.

iolaire and satman40 like this.
  15. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Award Ticket, should make no difference you still paid a price for the ticket.

Errors are made, and $70.00 is a slap in the face, but it is better than nothing.

I am sure you have made mistakes, how many times have you compensated the wronged party. Time to move on.

I have had bags lost more than once, they have always been found.

I try not to check bags..and I keep my keys in my backpack.

Limit your liabilities...

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  16. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Treat this as a learning experience, the pain will diminish with time. Most of us who fly frequently (some very) had had similar experiences and have learned and made changes to how we operate. For me, my worst lost / damaged / delayed experiences are now good travel horror stories and get good laughs when told. ie how a non-stop PHL/SJU flight had baggage end up in Spain at an airport that that airline doesn't have a connection to.