Help! Changed Award Flight

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Steven Schwartz, Aug 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had used US Air Dividend Miles to book NY to France via Brussels Air in Business. A few weeks later, I saw that seats opened in both directions (via Frankfurt) on United. I paid the extra points and the $150pp change fee.

Just checked the reservation and I have been changed to a flight with United Business First in both directions. My understanding is that these seats are usually considered Business Class yet the code (O) is still listed as First. United's own seat map confirms both flights have no true First Class.

They want me to click that I accept the changes but I first want feedback. My strong feeling is that I should be calling US Air and getting 50,000 miles redeposited. Any holes in that argument? Any further advice.

Many thanks.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) Why switch from SN to LH? That was probbably a downgrade.

2) If you are booked in the BF cabin on UA metal it should be booked into I, not O. But I'd call to address the issue, not deal with it online.

3. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It was United Seth and we moved from Business to First. But you confirmed what I needed to hear - the flight should be listed as I not O. Can't imagine much of an issue with US Air (then again...) but wanted to confirm. Many thanks.

4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, you originally booked on SN two-class in business, changed to UA three-class and paid extra to go to first, and now you're on a UA two-class plane because UA switched metal on you?

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Are there domestic connections? Are any of them booked in O rather than I?

Sharing all the details is often very helpful in situations like this so people can figure out what actually happened rather than just guessing.

6. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sorry Seth. Original booking was NYC-BRU-Nice with return as CDG-BRU-NYC on Brussels Air. Switched to First Class UA EWR-FRA and return. Outbound was LH from FRA to NCE and return was LH CDG to FRA, both in Business. Paid $300 to change to First PLUS 50,000 extra miles (total).

Clearly, if I knew it was going to be cancelled, I never would have paid the change fee and the extra 50,000 miles. Yet now I'm back to Business First on UA on different flights so all seats are Business. To my mind, without any question, I deserve the change fee returned plus my miles back. You agree?

7. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You can probably get the miles back, but you'll probably be SOL on the change fee. US did what they said they were going to, UA cancelling flights/changing equipment after they fulfilled their end of the bargain is out of their control.

Another option would be having US put you on a different UA TATL flight that has an F cabin (maybe see what you can connect to in IAD/ORD). This would keep you in F.

Incidentally... having flown UA GF and other airlines in F, I'm not sure I'd consider it much of an upgrade over SN C on a short TATL... or UA C... so, sure, get your miles back.

8. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    With a final destination of Nice, no way I would add an additional flight to the mix. To complicate things, it is still listed as "O" even tho it's now a Business seat. Because of that, US Air can't help. On the phone with UA and she is trying to see if they can contact them and correct things.

Sometimes I guess it's just best to leave well enough alone!

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The EWR-FRA route has swapped out the 3-cabin and 2-cabin planes a lot lately. It isn't entirely clear why, but they are doing that.

And I would've kept the SN route. Definitely not worth the 50K extra points ex-EWR IMO.

MX and eponymous_coward like this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want IFC and are willing to pay the miles for it, which you have already paid, try to find another routing with a real FC cabin, and ask to be switched to that. There shouldnt be a further change fee. The problem is that US can't open award availability on its partners. It would be wonderful if you could find LH seats, but that isn't likely to happen, especially far in advance of your travel dates.

11. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:

It isn't likely to happen because US officially says LH F is not an option for DM redemption. According to Lucky on his blog he gets around that, but I wouldn't try that on my own. That's sort of like the masterclass on redemption trickery. ;)

12. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The process totally sucked but it' s over. The only way for me to get my miles back was to cancel the reservation and start again - with, obviously, no guarantee that the seats would be there. I guess that's one of the pitfalls of alliance partner travel.

Cancelled and as of now, I don't see any way to get to Europe in a comparable seat shy of Istanbul and that's not an option for us. Can still do First on BA using a Companion Certificate but had been happy to save the money by using my other miles. Oh well. Thanks for your input everyone.