Help booking NYC-SGN-DPS-NYC

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by danny, Sep 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. danny
    Original Member

danny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't travel internationally much and usually I use Kayak.com to book my flights. A buddy told me Kayak is horrible at international itineraries. I tried Cheap O Air and Vayama with slightly better results. I'm wondering if I'm going the right way in booking this itinerary?

12/22/12 NYC-SGN
    12/30/12 SGN-DPS
    01/05/13 DPS-NYC

I believe that paying cash for these flights is my only option. I called AA to check reward availability on Cathay Pacific for the NYC-SGN and DPS-NYC legs to no avail. :(

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    also try hipmunk.

But yes from my opinion AA/CX during xmas/holidays is super hard. I believe you are way too late to book award flights ... as I tried to goto Asia during new years on AA first, but found no space thus I went w/UA miles.

danny likes this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is where being with Star Alliance really pays off...

4. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use Kayak and Expedia to find flights internationally and they work fine.
    You could also try to look for awards into other cities that have larger hubs and then pay for cheap flights into SGN from there. Try flying to Japan and then getting a tix from there to Vietnam.

danny and NYCUA1K like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If Vayama or cheapOair work better for pricing out your itinerary you can get a few extra bucks back using click-through referral services. My links are here. There are others available, too.

danny likes this.