Help Booking Hotel in Sold Out City

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by nonstopski, May 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys,

Heading to the wonderful, scene Dover, Delaware in June for a music festival. Of course, I screwed up majorly and didn't get a hotel and now the whole city is booked. My friend works for Hilton and was able to tell me that a business has some rooms blocked off that, if they decide to not take them, will open up on May 22nd. So I was going to call that day.

However, other than that I have very few ideas. I've checked craigslist, airbnb, couchsurfing, local camp sites.

Any tips? I've heard really high rewards holders with Marriott or SPG can sometimes find a way around these things.. I am neither, but my friend's parents do have some level of Marriott status and my parents have a low level of SPG status.

2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    $510 Days Inn, Dover, Delaware (fare based on 2 nights ck in 6/21, ck out 6/23, non-refundable)
    Call Mandy ext. 1-Reservations (302) 674-8002 10 rooms left

The price is high, but she said all the hotels are charging around that rate. If you're willing to pay for it, there's a room available.

3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will you be traveling there from DC? If so, I suggest driving or taking public transport. It's less than 100 mi away. You can return home to sleep or rent a room in a nearby town. Even taking a cab back (if there are no sober drivers) should cost less than $500.

4. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you spell G-O-U-G-I-N-G? Really? $510 for a Days Inn? Must be a great festival. I'm sure the festival owners love to hear that their partners are fleecing their customers. or than again maybe not. I remember the days when Joan Baez refused to charge more than $2.50 to get into one of her shows, but that just shows how old I am.

MSYgirl likes this.
  5. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    No kidding. I asked her to repeat the price just to be sure, then asked why it was so high. If the OP is set on getting into a hotel in that city as he said, then there is availability. If it were me, I'd find something cheaper on the outskirts like M7VO suggested.

6. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have any status with chains that allow guaranteed bookings? Often times they don't close out the backdoor for status members (though they actually are allowed to) so that may work.

7. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    It may seem like a waste, but in that type of situation before I've booked award stays rather than pay the ridiculously high rates. I can earn back the points on cheaper stays elsewhere.

8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    check with kayak.com

9. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    In principle this sounds like a good idea but 1. We don't want to be driving an hour or more after a long day of festival going. We'll be tired, not sober, or probably a little bit of both. Add in gas prices every day too. And the traffic outside a festival in a small town like Dover? No thanks. 3 hours in a car isn't fun.

2. Cabbing an hour is actually quite expensive, especially when we would be doing it multiple times. It gets split among 3, maybe 4 people though, so it probably is the cheapest option. However, it's Dover, DE. Cabs will be a high commodity. And from what I know of DE cab laws and fares, and from asking a cabby about it in Rehoboth Beach, it was way more expensive than I was expecting.

3. There's no public transportation. :D there is a bus that could take us there and back every day (its crowdfunded, need another 23 ppl to book it to even get it to go) but the price difference and hours spent on the bus and the lack of flexibility with the bus schedule all make it less than ideal.

Split the $510 room 3 ways, it's $170 for the entire weekend. That's worth it for the convenience, flexibility, and safety. And we might get a 4th.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    These had better be darn good friends. Sharing a room with 4 friends for more than a night makes sleeping in my car sound nice! (Really, it's them, not me ;))

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the Days Inn room rate really is $510 for TWO nights and not $510 per night for a minimum two night stay, $260 doesn't sound bad assuming that the hotel is in a good location for the festival. The guaranteed availability at Starwood and Hyatt requires paying a rack rate, which is likely to be considerably over $260.

12. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    They have a 3 day minimum that weekend so I haven't Been able to get the $510 rate. Got $810. Gonna call Monday when this "Mandy" is working.