Help booking award ticket Tokyo to St. Paul, USA

Discussion in 'JAL | Mileage Bank' started by sendaiben, Jun 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone

After a couple of years of accumulating miles, it's time to use them!

Of course I would like to get good bang for my 'bucks', so would definitely appreciate advice from more knowledgeable fellow mile freaks (pretty much everyone, as this will be my second award booking).

My wife and daughter (17) will be travelling from Tokyo to St. Paul, USA in August. They are hoping to leave on the 10th and return on the 20th. I want to book premium economy or business for them.

Right now, I can book Narita-Chicago online in PY on JAL for 117,000 miles for both of them. They would then have to make their own to St. Louis (not ideal).

Alternatively I can book them on AA in business from Narita to St Paul by phone. That will be 160,000 miles for both. Also they'd be flying on AA, which I doubt is as good as JAL (not ideal).

My question: is there any way to combine these, so that they go to the US on JAL, then switch to AA for the final transfer to St Paul? The agent I spoke to on the phone although very nice, was not very proactive.

Ideas?

2. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Er, thanks? Does this mean that I can have them book the awards through to the final destination using AA metal after JAL metal?

4. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, I thought you were on holiday hence not posting much... :rolleyes:

5. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes...JAL+AA. Is that page clear enough, professor? :p

If you book the award in July, you need to refer to JAL OW award page instead, which will be based on travel distance not zone. Also no PY award. If you want JAL PY, you need to redeem two separate award tickets

6. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't mean that I am not posting at all :rolleyes:

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should be aware that the final leg from ORD to "St Paul" ( = MSP = Minneapolis St Paul international airport) will likely be on small RJs without FC or Y+ if flown on AA. Alternatives include UA (some mainline with Y+ and FC, some small RJs) and DL (frequent, mostly mainline or larger RJs with FC) or alternatively Southwest from MDW (all 737s but no FC and no reserved seating on this big LCC). There's also train service from downtown Chicago. It's about a 7-8 hour drive, all on interstate highways.

If you don't insist on the OW alliance, on SkyTeam there's a daily nonstop 747 from NRT to MSP run by DL. DL also has HND nonstops into DTW (about the same flying time as ORD, with frequent mainline and large RJ with FC service, including some 757s in the schedule) and nonstops from NRT into other gateways in the USA connecting into MSP. If your family will be in coach, you might want to look for the A330s which are nice planes with good AVOD throughout.

8. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think SDJ King would put his family on a scary team plane :p

9. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks MSPeconomist! I don't know much about conditions on the ground (they're going to visit a friend in MSP). I'm hoping he can give more advice too.

Where would be good to fly on AA to MSP? JAL flies to New York, LA, Chicago, SF, Dallas, and Boston. Which would you recommend investigating first?

The train from Chicago also sounds like an option. PY on JAL to Chicago, arriving early in the morning, then a train...

Basically Delta from NRT would be an option if we were paying. I'll check it out, but would miss the miles if we're paying (have JAL and ANA accounts mostly -ie OW and *A, no Sky Team) :D

Lots to think about.

10. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    BOS isn't an option yet :rolleyes:

Why don't you just buy an upgradable ticket and use your upgrade points. And redeem an award for the other one?

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chicago is the only option for which ground transportation would be feasible without spending days in a train or car. I'd look at Dallas since the last time I flew AA to Europe, I routed through DFW and had fine mainline service nonstop with FC between MSP and DFW on AA. (I've heard that AA between NYC and MSP is exclusively small RJs now, although RJs at MSP generally get gates with jetways rather than buses to/from remote parking stands as in some airports, so it's not quite as bad as it could be.)

NYC and Boston are too far east and are probably illegal routes, so this would be expensive if you could do it. LA and SF would be possible but personally I prefer the longer TPAC flights that allow one to eat lunch/dinner and then get a full night's sleep before they start to wake you up on the plane for breakfast and landing. LA, SF, and Chicago are all cities that would be pleasant for a several day stopover, IMO Dallas much less so.

12. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    DFW means AA metal on TPAC :eek:

13. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got it sorted. Probably not the best solution, but it's done and I can move on to the next thing I have to do :D

PY award to Chicago on JAL, then a paid ticket on AA to MSP. Thanks for all the advice!

14. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Glad to hear you got it all sorted. Are you going with them or are your wife and daughter going without you?

15. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope, I am being abandoned (have a course in Osaka that week -hence the Starwood MR :D)

16. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Make sense since you are associated with bad luck lately :p

17. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    At least he's not living in NZ......

18. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    As if living in sendai isn't bad enough? :rolleyes:

19. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    To be honest, I think I would pick NZ at the moment... at least their food and water is definitely safe ;)

20. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    that is until you visit NZ again :eek:

21. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doh! :mad:

JALPak likes this.