Help booking award Mexico City to Oslo, Norway. 6/20

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by boogsbobo, Apr 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. boogsbobo

boogsbobo New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

One-way trip from MEX to OSL in economy, and I would love to do a 1-3 day stopover, if possible, in Detroit (DTW) or another nearby US city. I need to arrive in Oslo by 6/22, and I can leave MEX as early as 6/19.

I have been collecting points for several months, but this is my first complicated award booking! I have 80K + balances in Amex, Chase ultimate rewards, and AAdvantage. How can I best use these to get a good value and the stopover? Thanks!

p.s. alternatively, a 1-3 day stopover in Madrid would be great, too.

2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Are you saying that you have a TOTAL of 80K points or 80K points in each of the programs?

3. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stop-over on one way redemption might be a difficult thing to accomplish (especially as none of the proposed location is really a gateway [MAD for IB maybe]). More likely than not, if you want a stop-over it will have to be either two awards, or finding the itinerary that would allow for less than 24hr stop-over (if that even desirable).

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP boogsbobo.

I am not versed in Amex or Chase points, but if you wanted to know about your options with AA miles, I can give you some thoughts on that. But as deant mentioned, we'd need to know how many points/miles you are working with in each program.

I can also tell you off the bat that using AA miles to stop over in DTW or MAD is not very likely, sadly. There is some flexibility but it all depends on how many miles you have.

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Do AMEX or Sapphire point awards allow for stop overs? If it's AA miles then MAD is not a valid stop over point.

6. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I assume the OP will not use AMEX or Sapphire to BUY a ticket (than you can do whatever the ticket rules will allow - but I would not consider it a good value), but to transfer the points to one of the mileage programs.

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking "does the OP have enough points to buy a ticket that would allow a stop-over". I guess it would depend on what the price would be in that case. I prefer working with miles, it's more straight forward!

8. boogsbobo

boogsbobo New Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for the confusion. I have 85K Amex points (transfer to 85k delta, air france, kmg, or others, OR 127k British Airways), 130K chase ultimate rewards points (1:1 transfer to united, korean, british, more), 83k US Airways, and 180k American Airlines miles.

If it were possible to stopover in Chicago, Atlanta, Charlotte, Newark / New York, or anywhere in that half of the country, I think I would still do it if I could do 3 days. Then i'd book a separate ticket from there to DTW, round trip.
    Thanks for all the help!

9. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA miles would be your best bet, since you can have a stopover at the "North American Gateway City." From MEX, AA serves Chicago, Dallas, and Miami, so your best best for stopping over in Detroit would be getting to one of those cities and finding your way to Detroit from there. You'd have to purchase a separate ticket to DTW, and I would advise leaving enough time for the ticket back to the gateway city since they'll be on separate itineraries.

From ORD/DFW/MIA, I'd try AA across to London, then BA from LHR to Oslo (I think you avoid most fuel surcharges by flying AA to LHR since it's not BA).

From MIA, you can also try airberlin, since they've just become a OneWorld partner.

If you can book this, it's only 30K one-way in Economy, 50K one-way in Business, 62.5K one-way in First.

-----
    Another method would be using Avios to book a MEX-DTW one-way (no more than 15K Avios if you route via Chicago or Dallas, = 10K AMEX right now), then UA miles DTW-OSL one-way (30K/50K/67.5 Coach/Biz/First transferred from Chase) since you'll avoid nasty fuel surcharges and have more European partner options with United. This also cuts down on an extra round-trip to get to DTW in the method I mentioned above.

10. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have to admit I am not aware of the in-and-outs of the AA plan, but I believe the "North American Gateway City" stop-over is allowed when you destination or point of origin is within North America, not as a stopover between two international points.

That is a very wise recommendation. Those fuel charges can get nasty.

11. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The North American Gateway stopover is allowed when you have a itinerary to/from North America from/to another continent. MEX counts as North America on intercontinental itineraries as per http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/redeemMiles/awardCharts/na.jsp

It's the same way you can build in a stopover at YVR on the way to HKG, or even NAS if you take the BA flight to LHR.

DestinationDavid likes this.
  12. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP boogsbobo!

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not sure the NAS (or other Caribbean destinations) redemption is viable any longer. Per JonNYC on TravelingBetter.com: LINK.

14. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Darn. I used it 2 years ago....

However, you can still use NAS as an origin city, then use a mainland U.S. city (that you just might happen to live in ;)) as a stopover.

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Positioning flights make this less appealing though. I only use positioning flights on oneworld explorer awards.