Help!Best CASH back credit card.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by free67spirit, Jun 24, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. free67spirit

free67spirit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a large purchase I need to make in 10 days. (so min spend should not be a problem) I have a two week trip booked to Hawaii in October. 90% of it is completely booked with points and miles. Now to be utterly greedy I would like to apply for a cash back credit card for spending money. I have Chase Freedom,Sapphire and Ink. I also have Amex Blue Cash everyday.I would prefer a check sent to me but will live with a statement credit. Friends how about some suggestions??
    Thank you!

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    10 days pretty much limit you to what cards you have on hand now doesn't it? If not Citi Double Card is generally regarded as a good cash back card at 2%.

Out of what you have maybe 3% back at supermarkets for gc using your Amex.

3. free67spirit

Status Points:
    Yes and I was thinking I should somehow find a way to utilize this big purchase with a new card. If a cash back is not an option maybe I will try an airline card.

4. free67spirit

Status Points:
    Well I do not have the Barclays arrival-I think that is what I will do-

5. free67spirit

Status Points:
    Recon
    Reconsideration -never happened-now I am thinking my three USairways cards just hurt me. (no Balances) I need a card to arrive in 10 days and I am not calling. Any suggestions???

6. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fidelity Amex, issued by FIA. 2% cash into your Fidelity account. No/minimal signup bonus, but that's not the point.

CapOne Quicksilver offers 1.5%.

My personal favorite is the Priceline Visa issued by Barclay, but that's because I have the now-discontinued 2% version; the current one is 1%.

The only other consideration: what sort of merchant will this large purchase be made from? If you can find a card that gives a good bonus to that kind of spending...

7. free67spirit

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info--I have to have a foot operation that is not covered by insurance.

satman40 likes this.
  8. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sympathy. Even worse, I can't think of any card that offers a bonus on medical expenses.

satman40 and free67spirit like this.
  9. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it's not too late, I'd seriously reconsider that and go with the Citi Double Cash instead. Barclaycard is making some serious downgrades to the Arrival card, which makes it a far less useful card for the average traveler.

satman40 likes this.
  10. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    But with the Sign On Bonus ... the extra $400 would be fine. Not that the OP can apply for it now anyways...

satman40 likes this.
  11. free67spirit

Status Points:
    yup and that is the one I chose-it came in the mail two days before the downgrade

satman40 likes this.