Help!!! Are the 'people' at AA EVEN HUMAN.....

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by alfagirl, Mar 17, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    HELP!!! Are these people even human?

it was bad enough when my father died and I had a flight planned the next month. AA said,"well,that's long enough to grieve, you should be able to fly on Mm-YY,"

My husband just got out of the hospital with a bi-lateral pulmonary embolism and cannot fly for the foreseeable future, AA would not give us a refund! I even sent them the doctors letter stating such. We bought Biz tickets and all they will let us do is re-book.

What other recourse do I have?

I guess they would rather he expire on one of their flights.......good for them/bad for me ?"!@&$##%

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What does the Conteact of Carriage say regarding refunds when the traveler cannot travel due to documented illness?

3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have any trip insurance through the credit card you purchased the ticket with? That might be something to check out.

There's a variety of business class tickets. Could you be in a discounted fare class that is not refundable at will?

4. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It says that a refund can be requested due to medical reasons, but you have to submit the documentation (which I did), then it is reviewed and deemed worthy or not.

5. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I bought them with my AA credit card, darn it.

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    As is usual in many of these cases different people seem to have different experiences.
    I have had two somewhat similar instances with AA in the recent past.
    a) Redeemed a C class award for a friend who passed away before travelling. Called in and they fully refunded the award including the taxes etc and waived the miles deposit fees.
    b) Purchased a ticket TPA/PHL for a relative who was subsequently diagnosed with cancer.
    Sent in a letter from the oncologist (plus some documentation of
    treatment although it was not asked for) and the ticket was fully refunded.

Suggest you in call in again and you might get a sympathetic agent.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017