Help about JAL award using AA miles

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by maclover, Jan 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. maclover

maclover Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dear friends at MP,,
    I'm need some help from seasoned AA members as I'm not that familiar with AAdvantage program

I have 17.500 miles expiring soon and I though it was great use of them to book an award with JAl for an upcoming trip in Japan. Of course I had to deal over the phone with an agent as it's not possible to book JAL awards online.

What I need is a one-way flight KIX to NRT and the only viable solution I've found is connecting in CTS as there's no direct flight (ITM or HND are not an option)

Agent could find Y availability for the first leg and J for the second one. So far, so good, I've now a reservation on hold that looks like this
    KIX-CTS JL Y
    CTS-NRT JL J

Problem is that AA is going to charge me this award as two separate redemption, even if this will be on a single ticket and the two legs will be flown on a single day.
    I was under the impression that this should have been just one single award at 12.500 AA miles, considering one leg is in J.

Am I correct?
    Or I just need to cross my fingers for one Y award seat to opens up on the CTS-NRT leg?.

As I said before, I would be short of 2.500 miles and buy 3k miles is not a good option.

One last question: as Oneworld Emerald with BA, do I need to pay offline booking fee with AA? Does it applies even if it's impossible to book said award online?

Thank you for your help!
    maclover

Sweet Willie and Kalboz like this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I believe it's your connection that's the issue, not that you have a Y and J leg.

Kalboz likes this.
  3. maclover

maclover Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.
    I've found Y all the way, then it is 15k AA miles

Kalboz likes this.