Help a newbie with a flight to Seattle

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by spivey, Jan 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. spivey

spivey Silver Member

Status Points:
    I need help.. specifically for finding a flight to SEA from DTW on DL departing 4/25 returning 4/29 maximizing the # of miles.

1. Is there a better way to do this than searching on delta.com using their multi-city booking?

2. The best I found (I'm new at this) was DTW-BOS-DTW-SEA-MSP-BOS-DTW for $663.80, 6346 MQM

Help, please...

Thanks!

Matt

2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    You might try flying out of FNT and doing something like FNT-DTW-MSP-SEA or even FNT-DTW-ORD-MSP-SEA.

It's also important that each fight have a different number, otherwise it won't count as a separate segment. Delta often uses the same number for flights to and from a hub (e.g. you're flight to and from BOS could have the same number). Likewise, flights from say DTW to ORD to MSP might have the same number all the way through.

DTWBOB

3. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lansing also works the same as Flint

4. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kinda depends on where you're coming from -- FNT is on the south side of town so works well for people on the North and West Sides of Detroit -- (despite the song with the famous wording, there is no "South Detroit".)

LAN is west of town, so is a bit more inconvenient. I've used FNT a lot, LAN only once -- but not because the bar is Sparty's Den!

DTWBOB

5. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    I realize that LAN isn't as convenient as FNT, but we are talking about MQM, not convenience here!!

6. spivey

spivey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks folks!

Here is what I booked.

DTW-ATL-BOS-DTW-SEA

Return SEA-MSP-ATL-BOS-DTW

7255 MQM

$660

Did I do a decent job?

7. traveller99

traveller99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Heii yes

8. MalcoveMagnesia
    Original Member

MalcoveMagnesia Silver Member

Status Points:
    How in the world did you manage to book a revenue ticket that starts in Detroit and allows a transit IN Detroit after two segments. What site did you use to book that? (cause that sure couldn't have been delta.dumb)

9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    My guess is that the ticket nests a bos-sea round trip fare inside of a dtw-bos round trip fare, or something else along those lines. The connection through DTW occurs on a different fare than thevorigination.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This looks right to me. Can the OP see whether the fare class is the same for all segments? (you can see the fare class in a single capital letter for each flight segment on your itinerary or note it from the first letter of the fare code usually, unless there's a something-UP fare, on the ticket receipt.)