Help a newbie...will I just not be able to book this award?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Chase, Nov 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Chase
    Original Member

Chase Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I was an early member to this site but am a light flyer, being in grad school and all.

In any case I just learned that I was awarded a travel grant to go to Chile for a workshop. My airfare is paid for, which I'm very happy for.

At the end of this workshop I'd like to fly down my SO on an award ticket to join me in Chile for a week of vacation. This is where I've run into problems with award booking.

I have a few miles in a a lot of accounts but my main accounts are:

MileagePlus ~240,000 miles
    AAdvantage ~80,000 miles

I'm flying American, so I've pretty much realized that we'll fly back separately. What I'm looking for is an award ticket that meets the following criteria:

DTW - SCL
    Depart DTW 1/12 +- one day
    Depart SCL 1/19 +- one day

Is there a trick to getting this that I'm not seeing? Using the ANA tool I don't see any *A awards, and AA doesn't have awards available that I can afford.

Any help would be appreciated. We haven't had a vacation in five years, so we'd really like to get away.

If this is posted in the wrong location, mods please move.

2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    All I can suggest is that you search segment by segment both on the AA site and on the ANA site. That way you can look at some creative routings. You will also be able to then see which leg is causing the issue. Maybe the issue is the flight out of DTW and you could pay for a short hop somewhere so you can get award availability.

You might also try calling UA and AA to see if their agents can find anything.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you perhaps do two one-way awards? That would give more flexibility and maybe even allow the SO to fly back on (at least some of) your flights.

4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Uhh
    I see UA4297 in Y /UA1095 in J/TA923 in J for 50kon 1/12 for saver
    then on 1/19 i see lots of stnd award for Y or J.

for AA 60k in Y is available on both dates.

rodeojones likes this.
  5. Chase
    Original Member

Chase Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your help everyone. I have a hold on Y on AA DTW-SCL for 60k.

I couldn't find any awards in J on United (either way). Should I wait to see if any open up, or should I just spend the miles on the Y fair?