Help a Newbie Fly to China

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by dac729, Sep 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. dac729

dac729 Active Member

Status Points:
    Dear MP Good Samaritans:
    I live in SCE (State College, PA) and I have yet to find cheap tickets from NYC/EWR/IAD/PIT/PHL/SCE/MDT to PVG/PEK, and I"m starting to get nervous because the trip is Oct 14. I came to MP tonight looking for UA or CO consolidators, in hopes of scoring a deal for 4 tix for my family. AC has some decent prices, but I'm *A and I'm told UA only accepts the mileage from the gateway (YVR) to China, so that's quite a deduction! Any advice for me? I've set all my alerts for all the permutations for airports, at FareCompare, Airfare Watchdog, and kayak. What else can I do?
    Thanks,
    David

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding of *A rules is that AC metal should give full miles credit to UA, assuming that it's an earning fare class. If you were flying a partner that isn't a *A member, then some of the benefits could be different or even worse, a partner of a partner is not a partner, so that you might risk losing miles with some strange carriers or codeshares, but a normal AC flight should not be a problem. Be sure to check that AC really operates all flights, not just markets them as codeshares.

3. White_Cloud

White_Cloud Member

Status Points:
    As much as I wouldn't advise you flying AC for that length even in premium classes, AC is really the best option to connect the US with China since it is their official flag carrier. China Southern is apparently better in terms of service, but again, manage expectations.

So long as you're flying with a qualifying rate, you will be provided the mileage for sure. You might not get 100% if its not full Y or E class, but minimum 50%. Another note. So long as you're flying from the key airports like JFK you're bound to land an Air China flight without a doubt. Not for the smaller airports though. PVG and BJS (or PEK) are 2 very different airports. BJS is Air China's hub while PVG is China Eastern's base...

Mikel and Kalboz like this.
  4. White_Cloud

White_Cloud Member

Status Points:
    Apologies, I should amend my points above. Just checked that for UA Mileage Plus on Air China, booking class applies:

Full Economy​
    Y B M H K​
    100%​

Discount Economy​
    L Q G S V U W​
    50%​

No Mileage Credit​
    X I O R N T E​
    0%​

Kalboz likes this.
  5. dac729

dac729 Active Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I should have been clearer that I'm looking for the cheapest tickets possible. I'd like to hear from folks who have a good strategy for finding the cheapest prices, or perhaps someone can point me to a thread on this site (or elsewhere) that is dedicated to cheapest prices, e.g., consolidators or some-such.
    Also, I thought "AC" meant "Air Canada." I was talking about Air Canada.
    Thanks for your help,
    David

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know AC means Air Canada, but why put yourself through the inconvenience of connecting through Canada from State College, with two more times through immigration and customs and probably transferring between terminals? (Worse if visas are required for you or your family.) I wouldn't do this except for a really huge difference in fares.

White_Cloud likes this.
  7. White_Cloud

White_Cloud Member

Status Points:
    Oops. Apologies, my bad. I had assumed that flying to China from the US would automatically mean Air China would be the first choice, confusing CA with AC. Can't really help with AC unfortunately since they stopped service to where I'm based a long time ago :)

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Huh? I would think that Air China would be the worst choice, to be avoided unless you need it within China for a domestic flight to a destination that isn't served by China Southern, etc.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  9. White_Cloud

White_Cloud Member

Status Points:
    True indeed MSPeconomist. I flew Air China when China was still communist when I was 6 and I'm still traumatised by it. An unlikely choice unless absolutely forced to without a choice...

MSPeconomist likes this.
  10. Why not use UA -- I would have something like this available for $994 ai -- PM me for details

14OCT SCE-IAD-ORD-PVG-LAX-IAD-SCE

UA3857 14OCT 5 SCEIAD HK1 600A 706A
    UA 883 14OCT 5 IADORD HK1 800A 857A
    UA 835 14OCT 5 ORDPVG HK1 1 1023A 155P+1
    UA 878 18OCT 2 PVGLAX HK1 2 810P 444P
    UA 584 18OCT 2 LAXIAD HK1 7 1039P 620A+1
    UA3883 19OCT 3 IADSCE HK1 839A 952A